Women’s swimming and diving records 300th victory against Tennessee, men fall to Volunteers

<p>Senior Courtney Bartholomew swept the backstroke events and was part of the 400 medley relay that broke the AFC pool record in the women's win against Tennessee.</p>

Senior Courtney Bartholomew swept the backstroke events and was part of the 400 medley relay that broke the AFC pool record in the women's win against Tennessee.

The Virginia swimming and diving teams split their season opening dual meet against Tennessee Friday at the Aquatic and Fitness Center. The Cavalier women (1-0) defeated the Volunteers (1-1), 174-121 for their 300th dual meet win in program history. Tennessee’s men (2-0) prevailed over Virginia (0-1), 210-90.

The Cavaliers won a total of 11 events at the meet, including a record-setting performance in the women’s 400 meter medley relay — senior Courtney Bartholomew and juniors Laura Simon, Kaitlyn Jones and Ellen Thomas set an AFC pool record with a time of 3:35.50.

Bartholomew also swept the backstroke events, while Simon swept the breaststroke races.

Two-time NCAA champion junior Leah Smith won the 1,000 free, posting a time of 9:55.89.

Senior Yannick Kaeser finished first in the men’s 200 breast and second in the 100.

Six Cavalier divers met NCAA Zone qualifying marks. Senior Becca Corbett placed second in the three-meter, and freshman Kylie Towbin and senior Katie Warburg met qualifying standards.

Senior Carl Buergler qualified on both boards while fellow senior Colby Shinholser qualified on the one-meter board.

Virginia returns to action with a two-day tri-meet against Michigan and Penn State in Ann Arbor, Mich. The meet begins Oct. 31.