​A forgettable end

Let’s face it, a Virginia win Saturday wouldn’t have been right.

Not for Virginia, whose fans would have stormed the field only to call for coach Mike London’s head moments later. And not for that divine coach from Blacksburg — how dare Virginia deny him a win in his final regular season game?

That’s the way the Cavaliers played the fourth quarter at least, in which they were outscored 17-7.

For anyone who associates themselves in the slightest with the Cavaliers, the Frank Beamer era gladly came to an end in Lane Stadium north, where the maroon-clad Hokie diehards both outnumbered and out-cheered the Cavalier faithful to a 23-20 Virginia Tech victory.

Virginia’s loss wasn’t for a lack of effort.

“I hate Virginia Tech with a passion,” senior defensive tackle David Dean said.

Or for a lack of an effective game plan.

“They coach [the players] up,” Virginia Tech coach Frank Beamer said.

Regardless, Virginia fell against its biggest rival for the 12th consecutive season — and for that matter, the 16th of the past 17.

London will likely answer for his shortcomings in the coming days, as athletic director Craig Littlepage is expected to relieve him of his coaching duties after six years on the job. A forgettable six seasons, to boot.

For everything positive he has done in the community, he has come up with another on-field shortcoming. After starting out his career with such promise — a Chik-fil-A bowl berth in his second season and rumored offers to replace Joe Paterno at Penn State — the past four years have been the same disappointment.

See the 4-8, 2-10, 5-7 and 4-8 records. See the repeated clock mismanagement. See the repeated turnovers, penalties and ‘oh-so-close’ explanations.

As if more evidence was needed, Saturday provided it. Virginia outgained the Hokies 433-304 while adding an impressive 262 yards on the ground. But Virginia Tech had fewer turnovers, fewer penalties and fewer mistakes.

Freshman receiver Olamide Zaccheaus, a bright spot for the Cavaliers, dropped a second-quarter touchdown. Then a few minutes later, a ‘so-crazy-this-might-work’ fake punt on fourth-and-16 came up short, gift-wrapping a game-tying Virginia Tech field goal before halftime.

The players still support London.

“He’s a great coach,” Dean said.

“We love that guy to death,” junior quarterback Matt Johns said.

“Hopefully we’ll have him back,” junior running back Taquan Mizzell said.

But the writing seems to be on the wall. As Beamer joked about his 69-year old self getting into bloody tussles on the sideline, London held back tears as he addressed repeated questions about his job security.

“I’ve had a chance to pass along life lessons at this place — police officer days, being a bone marrow donor to my daughter — you can’t replace those opportunities,” he said. “I get it, winning football games is important, and I know that we’re close. This is the sport that we play today, and I understand. We’ll see.

“I’d love to be the head coach of this team if the opportunities are afforded. I feel proud about what I’ve done with this program.”

Sounds like a man on his way out, doesn’t it? After six seasons — and a cumulative 27-46 record — patience has worn thin. For all of the good he’s done in the community, on-field results have yet to improve.

In the post-game press conference, Beamer and Virginia Tech provided a sharp contrast to Virginia. Athletic Director Whit Babcock took the initiative to address the Justin Fuente-to-Virginia Tech rumors that broke midgame. Then Beamer could laugh and smile as he described his ball club as relentless — an identity he tries to uphold.

Meanwhile, Virginia lacks any sort of initiative or identity, and that’s a problem for a football team. That’s why Virginia Tech fans — not Virginia fans — stood on the Scott Stadium turf Saturday, hoisting up their coach and plucking commemorative blades of grass. That’s why Scott Stadium is Lane Stadium north.

For Littlepage, it will be tough to dismiss one of his dear friends in London, but it is the move Virginia must make. London is an incredible leader of men, telling his players in the locker room that their time on the football team is just a small part of their life.

“Your identity is not tied into being just a football player,” he said.

But the Cavalier faithful have had enough coach-speak. When a press conference is likely announced early next week, the moment will be more sweet than bitter.

London might be an incredible representative for Virginia. But as everyone in the Cavalier football community will attest — it’s time to win some football games in Charlottesville.