English, African-American Studies majors discuss race, culture

Student associations to create collaborative annual literary magazine

<p>Cooper stressed the importance of building a community for open discussion, rather than just a one-time space.</p>

Cooper stressed the importance of building a community for open discussion, rather than just a one-time space.

The African American Studies Majors Union co-hosted a meeting with the English Student Association to facilitate a dialogue about students’ racial and cultural experiences at the University.

ESA President Sally Hansen, a fourth-year College student, said she felt it was important to reach out to the AAS Majors Union to involve the organization in participating and eading a dialogue about race and culture.

“I think everyone at U.Va. probably needs to practice hearing perspectives other than their own,” Hansen said. “We learn how to speak, but we also need to learn how to listen.”

Approximately 20 students, mostly English majors, attended the meeting Wednesday.

“Activism can only be rooted in relationships,” Hansen said. “That’s why I think it’s really important we’re not leading this event. We’re trying to do things together and that’s the main point.”

AAS Majors Union President Alesha Cooper, a fourth-year College student, said she hopes the dialogue will allow people to foster relationships and begin a discussion about race and culture.

“We want people to interact with each other. Just because I look different and sound different from you, doesn’t mean we are different. We are all the same,” Cooper said.

At the event, Harsen and Cooper led a large group discussion about the interconnection of literature and personal experience with some of these topics at the University.

Next semester, ESA will be partnering with the AAS to create a new literary magazine dedicated to providing a space for student works about race, gender, and other topics students feel are relevant to their experience at the University, but often overlooked.

“We can hold a one time event where people talk about their experiences, but we want to continue that space,” Hansen said.

Third-year College student Aaida Tesfa will lead the creation of the magazine.

“It’ll be actively creating history and bonds between people who may not know each other but go to this school together,” Tesfa said. “You can read an essay by someone who looks nothing like you and feel a connection or you can read an essay by someone who looks just like you and that’s great too.”

Cooper also stressed the importance of building a community for open discussion, rather than just a one-time space.

“The literary magazine will be a good place for us to share and foster relationships,” Cooper said. “It’s good to have this meeting, but we will not meet for another one or two months. The literary magazine will keep us coming back to each other.”

Cooper said she hopes the ESA and AAS Majors Union partnership will expand to include more voices, including professors and other students outside of the two fields of study.

“We are open to a wide range of people — professors preferably, because a lot want to talk to students. Once we generate something that’s tangible, then we can expand with professors and people from the community,” Cooper said.