​Football toppled by Miami, 27-21

Virginia football’s road losing streak extended to 14 games following a 27-21 defeat at the hands of Miami Saturday afternoon at Sun Life Stadium in Miami Gardens, Florida. The Cavaliers (3-6, 2-3 ACC) moved the ball well on offense, but a litany of penalties turned the game in favor of the Hurricanes (6-3, 3-2 ACC).

Junior quarterback Matt Johns threw for 280 yards on 42 attempts. The Chalfont, Pennsylvania native tossed his 14th interception of the season, the most in the FBS, and was held without a passing touchdown.

In his return from a one game absence due to a concussion, sophomore quarterback Brad Kaaya completed 20 of 26 passes for 286 yards, two touchdowns and one interception.

Miami pulled ahead to a 14-5 lead in the second quarter, but Virginia responded with 10 unanswered points. Freshman Olamide Zaccheaus scored the Cavaliers’ lone touchdown on a three-yard scamper to cap a six-play, 80-yard drive, which gave Virginia a 15-14 lead.

But the Hurricanes soon responded with the go-ahead score. Freshman tight end David Njoku put Miami in business with a 58-yard reception. Freshman Mark Walton finished the series with a touchdown run.

For the second straight week, Virginia dominated possession of the ball. The Cavaliers recorded 24 first downs to Miami’s 18 and accrued 33:09 of possession.

A lack of discipline severely hindered Virginia’s chances. The Cavaliers committed eight penalties for 80 yards and had a fourth quarter touchdown nullified due to offensive pass interference.

With the loss, Virginia must win out to reach bowl eligibility. The Cavaliers will face Louisville on the road before returning home for contests against Duke and Virginia Tech.