George Washington stuns No. 6 Virginia

<p>Senior guard Malcolm Brogdon torched the Colonials for 28 points and eight rebounds, but the Cavaliers shot just 40.3 percent as a team.&nbsp;</p>

Senior guard Malcolm Brogdon torched the Colonials for 28 points and eight rebounds, but the Cavaliers shot just 40.3 percent as a team. 

The sixth-ranked Virginia men’s basketball team committed 24 personal fouls and sent George Washington to the foul line 28 times as the Colonials (2-0) upset the Cavaliers (1-1), 73-68, Monday night at the Charles E. Smith Center in Washington, D.C.

Three days after shooting 49.2 percent against Morgan State, Virginia connected on only 40.3 percent of its attempts against a much more dangerous George Washington team. Senior guard Malcolm Brogdon posted game highs in points and rebounds with 28 and eight, respectively.

Senior guard Patricio Garino led a dangerous Colonial offense with 18 points on 7-8 shooting, including a three-point basket. The Argentine national was also perfect from the charity stripe, going 3-3.

As a team, George Washington capitalized on frequent trips to the foul line by knocking down 23 free throws. The Cavaliers were equally efficient from the line, but went there 12 fewer times than the Colonials.

George Washington also enjoyed an edge on the glass, out-rebounding Virginia 37-33. Senior forward Kevin Larsen, sophomore big man Yuta Watanabe and senior guard Joe McDonald each pulled down seven boards.

Sophomore guard Paul Jorgensen provided a big lift off the bench for the Colonials with 10 points on 50 percent shooting. The New York City native singlehandedly outscored Virginia’s reserves, a unit which scored only nine points on 4-14 shooting.

The Cavaliers return to the hardwood in three days’ time when they tip off against Bradley in the opening round of the Charleston Classic in Charleston S.C.