Huland El, Randolph carry Cavaliers in Alabama

<p>Sophomore guard Aliyah Huland El scored 20 points as the Cavaliers improved to 3-0.&nbsp;</p>

Sophomore guard Aliyah Huland El scored 20 points as the Cavaliers improved to 3-0. 

On a night when both teams struggled to knock down jump shots and finish in close, Virginia women’s basketball made 20-24 free throws and defeated Auburn 69-52 at Auburn Arena.

The Cavaliers (3-0) shot 34.9 percent from the floor, including 5-23 from behind the line. Sophomore forward Aliyah Huland El led the way with 20 points on 6 of 15 shooting. Senior guard Faith Randolph added 15 points on 5 of 13, while sophomore point guard Mikayla Venson contributed 14 points on 5 of 14.

Randolph’s 3-pointer with one second remaining in the first quarter gave Virginia a 13-10 lead and ignited a 28-12 run that lasted until the break. She, Venson and Huland El combined for 24 points during that stretch.

Huland El’s trifecta with 3:23 remaining in the first quarter extended the Cavalier lead to 30-18 and prompted Auburn coach Terri Williams-Flournoy to motion for a timeout. The coach glanced at her star player and decided against subbing her back into the game.

Auburn senior forward Tra’Cee Tanner, who was averaging 17 points and 7.5 rebounds entering Thursday’s game, took a seat on the bench after picking up her second foul with 3:52 remaining in the first quarter. Several of her teammates later joined her.

Three Virginia forwards — junior Sydney Umeri, freshman Moné Jones and sophomore Lauren Moses — also missed time with two fouls each, but unlike the Tigers (2-1), the Cavaliers took advantage of this foul trouble and the new double-bonus rule. Virginia attacked the rim and drained 11 of 15 free throws over the first two quarters.

Turning over the basketball and missing shots, the Cavaliers saw their comfortable 19-point lead cut to 11 three minutes into the third quarter. But Virginia responded on both ends of the court, as a 17-8 run behind Moses, Randolph and Huland El sealed the deal.

The Cavaliers will host in-state opponent Longwood at 2 p.m Sunday. The Lancers (0-2) have fallen to Oregon State 110-45 and James Madison 88-30 to begin the season.