Louisville runs through Virginia, ends Cavalier bowl hopes

<p>Junior quarterback Matt Johns finished 25-41 for 260 yards and a career-high four touchdowns against Louisville.&nbsp;</p>

Junior quarterback Matt Johns finished 25-41 for 260 yards and a career-high four touchdowns against Louisville. 

Virginia football entered Saturday’s contest with Louisville in a must win situation — any loss would eliminate the Cavaliers from bowl contention for the fourth consecutive year.

Virginia (3-7, 2-4 ACC) fought the Cardinals (6-4, 5-3) down to the final whistle, but second-half miscues cost the Cavaliers the chance at bowl eligibility. Louisville junior running back Brandon Radcliff ran at will for 146 yards and two touchdowns in the 38-31 Louisville win.

Virginia scored on its opening possession for the first time since defeating William & Mary Sept. 19. After a second-quarter 30-yard touchdown reception by senior receiver Canaan Severin, senior kicker Ian Frye booted home a 46-yard field goal to even the game at 17 entering halftime.

At the start of the fourth quarter following another Severin touchdown reception, the Cavaliers appeared to have all of the momentum. But freshman receiver Olamide Zaccheaus muffed a punt, leading to a Cardinal recovery and a one-yard touchdown run two plays later. Radcliff broke loose on a 36-yard touchdown run on the ensuing Louisville possession, stretching the lead to 38-24.

A late Severin touchdown grab — his third of the day — pulled the Cavaliers to within seven with 1:16 to play. Virginia recovered the onside kick, but was called for offsides. The Cardinals recovered the second attempt to end the game.

Virginia was out rushed 266-94 in the loss. Junior quarterback Matt Johns finished 25-41 for 260 yards and a career-high four touchdowns. Severin hauled in eight passes for 116 yards, while junior running back Taquan Mizzell had nine receptions for 89 yards.

Virginia will next face Duke on Saturday in Scott Stadium. Kickoff is scheduled for 3:30 p.m.