​Men’s golf places second in final fall tournament

Play suspended during third round, Cavaliers finish at 5-under 571

<p>Junior Derek Bard led the way for Virginia, finishing fifth overall at 4-under 140, his second top-five finish on the season.</p>

Junior Derek Bard led the way for Virginia, finishing fifth overall at 4-under 140, his second top-five finish on the season.

The Virginia men’s golf team wrapped up its fall season Tuesday morning on a positive note, placing second in the abbreviated CSU Kiawah Classic. Play was suspended during Tuesday’s third round due to a mass of water which collected on the course at the drenched Turtle Point Golf Club. With the team matchups still within their first nine holes of their respective rounds, only the first two rounds of play were officially recorded.

The Cavaliers finished at 5-under 571 in their two rounds of recorded play, five shots behind tournament winner and host Charleston Southern. At the time play was suspended, Virginia was 5-under par on the day.

Individually, junior Derek Bard led the way for Virginia, finishing fifth overall at 4-under 140, his second top-five finish on the season. Freshman Thomas Walsh finished ninth overall at 3-under 141, one stroke behind Bard. At the time play was suspended, Bard was 3-under through six holes while junior Jimmy Stanger was four-under through seven. Both scores would have put the Cavaliers in prime position to make a run for a first-place finish.

Virginia was extremely consistent throughout the two-plus rounds of play, with all rounds posted by the starting five lower than 74, 2-over par.

The Kiawah Classic was Virginia’s fourth top-five finish in the five tournaments in which it has participated this fall, an impressive run which included a first place finish in September’s Dick’s Sporting Goods Collegiate Challenge Cup.

The Cavaliers now face a lengthy winter respite, with their next competition coming in mid-February at the John Burns Intercollegiate in Honolulu, Hawaii.