Rowing take first place at Princeton Chase

<p>Virginia&nbsp;placed four boats in the top 12 against the perennially strong east coast competition at the Princeton Chase.</p>

Virginia placed four boats in the top 12 against the perennially strong east coast competition at the Princeton Chase.

The Virginia women’s rowing team won the Princeton Chase Sunday, capturing first place with a time of 14:39.256. The Cavaliers also displayed their depth, placing four boats in the top 12 against the perennially strong east coast competition.

The Cavaliers’ top eight edged second-place Brown by just 0.569 seconds. The lineup consisted of freshman coxswain Izzi Weiss, junior Georgia Ratcliff in stroke seat, senior Mackenzi Sherman in 7-seat, senior Tessa Dikkers in 6-seat, sophomore Eliza Spilsbury in 5-seat, junior Erin Briggs in 4-seat, freshman Heidi Long in 3-seat, junior Ali Zwicker in 2-seat, and senior Sam Casto in bow seat.

Yale, Princeton and Virginia’s Second Varsity Eight placed third, fourth and fifth, respectively. The Second Varsity Eight finished in 15:02.531, ahead of both Brown and Yale’s second eights. Syracuse A, Cornell A and Virginia’s Third Varsity Eight (15:16.345) rounded out the top 10.

Virginia had five out of 65 entries in the three-mile head race on Lake Carnegie. The Fourth Varsity Eight finished 12th with a time of 15:21.26, ahead of Harvard’s A boat and Princeton’s B boat. The Fifth Varsity Eight still placed in the top half at 28th, in 15:56.23.

The Cavaliers’ next and final fall race is the Rivanna Romp Nov. 15, their home regatta hosted on the Rivanna Reservoir.