U.Va. matches 107 international students with local families for Thanksgiving

University will also provide catered meals to those staying in Charlottesville

<p>Holiday Dining is organized by Student Council’s diversity committee and the Office of the Dean of Students to provide meals for both domestic and international students staying on Grounds.</p>

Holiday Dining is organized by Student Council’s diversity committee and the Office of the Dean of Students to provide meals for both domestic and international students staying on Grounds.

Most students go home for Thanksgiving, but for those who have decided to stay behind the University will offer food and fun through a number of different projects and programs.

The dinners are fully funded and will host 60 to 80 students at the International Residence College and 20 at Hereford College.

Milan Restaurant will supply a full Indian cuisine dinner on Thursday night, Aramark and Domino’s will provide pizza on Friday night and Yuan Ho will serve Chinese food on Saturday.

Other snacks, funded by the Parent’s Committee and donations from Aramark, will be available for breakfast and lunch. The meals will be open to all University students, not just IRC and Hereford College residents.

The University has also matched 107 international students with 42 local families for Thanksgiving, 38 of whom are faculty and staff.

Economics Prof. Kenneth Elzinga will continue his annual tradition of hosting many of his students who are unable to go home for Thanksgiving dinner at his home.

The Friday after Thanksgiving, Grit Coffee, formerly Para Coffee, will host an event called Puppies and Pumpkins. The shop will be giving out free pumpkin treats for people to eat while playing with puppies from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.

Last Thursday the University Department of Urban and Environmental Planning hosted its “100-Mile Thanksgiving” potluck dinner, in which participants brought dishes made with ingredients that came from within 100 miles of Charlottesville.

175 students attended the University Second Annual Student Thanksgiving Celebration, also held last Thursday. University Dean of Students Allen Groves and University Association Dean Sandra Seidel were keynote speakers at the event.

Outside of Charlottesville, the Cavalier Marching Band will be representing the University in the Macy’s Day Parade on Thanksgiving day.