U.Va. hosts Diversity Dialogues

Two-day workshop co-sponsored by 11 offices on Grounds

<p>The goal of the two day workshop is to bring together community members and leaders in order to create a more inclusive University.</p>

The goal of the two day workshop is to bring together community members and leaders in order to create a more inclusive University.

The University is kicking off the second day of Diversity Dialogues, a series of workshops in which students, faculty and staff can come together to discuss different forms of diversity at the University.

The series is being lead by the University’s Counseling and Psychological Services’ Dr. Andrea Iglesias and Dr. Glenda Russell of the University of Colorado.

The event is co-sponsored by a total of 11 offices around Grounds, including the Office of the Vice President and Chief Officer for Diversity and Equity, Counseling and Psychological Services, the Center for Teaching Excellence, the Frank Batten School of Leadership and Public Policy, and the School of Nursing.

The goal of the workshop is to bring together community members and leaders in order to create a more inclusive University.

Fourth-year College student VJ Jenkins, who heads community relations for the Honor Committee, and third-year College student Aryn Frazier, president of the Black Student Alliance, are among those who will lead breakout sessions Thursday and Friday. Lessons range from “Students as Leaders for Change” to “Show Survivor Support Network: A Brief Introduction” and “Beyond the T: Gender Alignments and Expressions.”

Iglesias and Russell have crafted the dialogues using the implicit attitudes model, which will allow the groups to “bypass the shame and blame often present in dialogue around diversity issues,” according to the event website.