Virginia defeats Long Beach State, advances to Charleston Classic final

<p>Sophomore guard Marial Shayok scored a career-high 17 points Friday night. </p>

Sophomore guard Marial Shayok scored a career-high 17 points Friday night.

Virginia’s loss against George Washington Monday will surely drop the Cavaliers in the polls come next week. But in the two games since the Colonials’ upset, Virginia has played up to its No. 6 ranking.

A day after dispatching Bradley, 82-57, the Cavaliers (3-1) put on another showcase performance in the Charleston Classic semifinals by defeating Long Beach State, 87-52. The 49ers (3-1) shot just 28.8 percent from the field in the lopsided loss.

Virginia had five players score in double figures. Sophomore guard Marial Shayok, in his second consecutive start, scored a career-high 17 points to lead all scorers. It was the second straight game he set a new career-high in points.

After a back and forth first few minutes, Virginia exploded with a 19-2 first-half run, holding Long Beach State scoreless for about seven minutes. The Cavaliers lead grew as large as 41 at one point in the second half.

Virginia had a 28-0 advantage in points in the paint during the first 30 minutes of the game, and finished with a 34-10 advantage in that statistic.

Junior point guard London Perrantes displayed his newfound offensive aggression by contributing a season-high 15 points, including three NBA-range triples. Sophomore guard Devon Hall added 12 points off the bench, while senior guard Malcolm Brogdon and senior forward Anthony Gill scored 10 and 11 points, respectively. Sophomore forward Isaiah Wilkins had a team-high three blocks.

Virginia hit 12 three-pointers to shoot 52 percent from behind the arc.

The Cavaliers will face George Mason Sunday at 9:30 p.m. in the tournament final. The Patriots have defeated Ole Miss and Oklahoma State en route to the championship game.