Weekend Previews: Nov. 13-15

“The Skinny” on weekend matchups for cross country, rowing, field hockey, volleyball and wrestling

<p>Sophomore midfielder Tara Vittese, Virginia's leading scorer, converted a penalty stroke four minutes into overtime to give the Cavaliers a 3-2 win against Delaware in October.</p>

Sophomore midfielder Tara Vittese, Virginia's leading scorer, converted a penalty stroke four minutes into overtime to give the Cavaliers a 3-2 win against Delaware in October.

Previews for men's basketball, women's basketball, women's soccer, football and men's and women's tennis can be found online and in Thursday's Cavalier Daily. 

Cross Country

What: NCAA Southeast Regional Championships

Where: Panorama Farms, Earlysville, Va.

When: Friday, 12 p.m.

The Skinny: The Virginia cross country teams will race at the NCAA Southeast Regional Championships Friday afternoon at Panorama Farms, with trips to the NCAA Championships on the line. The Cavaliers come into the event running as fast as any team in the region.

The No. 6 Virginia women will be favored in their noon race, but they are far from the lone nationally ranked program descending on Earlysville — No. 8 NC State, No. 22 William & Mary and No. 28 North Carolina will also compete. The ACC champion Cavaliers have won three NCAA regionals in the past five years.

The No. 12 Virginia men, meanwhile, will contend with the No. 10 Wolfpack in addition to No. 13 Furman, No. 18 Virginia Tech and No. 26 Eastern Kentucky. The reigning regional champion Cavaliers are coming off a third-place finish Oct. 30 at the ACC Championships.

The two fastest teams and four fastest individual runners on the men’s and women’s sides will advance to the NCAA Championships, which will be held in Louisville. Virginia could receive an at-large bid to the national meet even without a top-two finish at the regional.

—compiled by Matthew Morris

Rowing

What: Rivanna Romp

Where: Earlysville, Va.

When: Sunday, 10 a.m.

The Skinny: The Virginia women’s rowing team competes Sunday morning at the Rivanna Romp, its final regatta of the fall season. The Cavaliers have already raced twice this season — at the Head of the Charles Regatta in October and the Princeton Chase earlier this month — and posted fast times on both occasions.

Virginia cruised at last year’s romp, placing three boats in the top five of the Varsity Eights race and taking first, second and third place in the Varsity Fours. The Cavaliers’ Varsity Eight boat smoked its competition, clocking in 37 seconds faster than second-place Louisville. In the Varsity Fours, meanwhile, Virginia accounted for three of four boats — out of 37 — to finish in less than 15 minutes 30 seconds.

This year’s romp — which will also feature boats from Clemson, Columbia, Duke, Louisville, Navy and Pennsylvania — starts up at 10 a.m. with the Varsity Eights race. The Varsity Fours will follow at 11:30 a.m.

—compiled by Matthew Morris

Field Hockey

What: No. 3 Seed Virginia (14-5) vs. Delaware (16-5)

When: Saturday, 11:30 a.m.

Where: University Hall Turf Field

The Skinny: The Cavaliers are the No. 3 overall seed in the NCAA field hockey tournament, and as such, are one of four schools to host first- and second-round games. Joining Virginia in the Charlottesville region are Duke, Delaware and Stanford, who ranked 6th, 12th and 13th in the final NFHCA poll of the year, respectively.

Virginia posted a 3-0 record against these teams during the regular season. Up first is Delaware, who the Cavaliers defeated, 3-2, in overtime on a rainy Sunday afternoon in Newark, Del. way back in mid-October. Sophomore midfielder and Cavalier leading goal scorer Tara Vittese converted a penalty stroke four minutes into the period to give Virginia the victory.

Delaware is a dangerous offensive team, though, averaging 3.85 goals per keep — good for fourth in the country. Additionally, the Blue Hens are fourth in points per game at 10.81 and fifth in assists per game, with three.

The Virginia defense, anchored by All-ACC Tournament goalkeeper junior Rebecca Holden, will have its work cut out for it. Holden has averaged over six saves per game over her last four contests.

—compiled by Ryan Taylor

Volleyball

What: Virginia (15-10, 7-7 ACC) vs Clemson (6-21, 1-14 ACC), Georgia Tech (17-10, 8-7 ACC)

Where: Memorial Gymnasium

When: Friday, Nov. 13, 7 p.m.; Saturday, Nov. 14, 7 p.m.

The Skinny: The Virginia women’s volleyball team is reeling as it is currently mired in a three game losing streak. With the season winding down, the Cavaliers are looking to get back on track as they kick off a four game home stand this weekend.

Virginia will take on two ACC rivals, Clemson and Georgia Tech, in what should be two tight-fought matches. The Tigers are coming off of a significant win against Georgia Tech, where Clemson fended off the Yellow Jackets, 3-1 (30-28, 25-21, 16-25, 25-20).

After two straight road losses, Virginia will return to its familiar stomping grounds at Memorial Gym to try and piece together two consecutive wins for the first time since beating North Carolina State Oct. 10 and Boston College Oct. 16.

—compiled by Rahul Shah

Wrestling

What: No. 23 Virginia (3-1, 0-0 ACC) vs. No. 5 Ohio State (0-0, 0-0 Big Ten); No. 15 Old Dominion (0-0 C-USA)

Where: Columbus, Ohio; Memorial Gymnasium, Charlottesville

When: Friday, 6:30 p.m.; Sunday, 1 p.m.

The Skinny: The now 23rd-ranked Virginia wrestling team is coming off of a successful road weekend, where it defeated North Dakota State, Grand Canyon and South Dakota State, only dropping one close contest to No. 16 Minnesota.

The Cavaliers face yet another ranked opponent as they travel to No. 5 Ohio State, the defending NCAA Champions, Friday. The Cavaliers are offering the Buckeyes their first dual meet challenge of the season, although Ohio State had seven wrestlers take championships in the Eastern Michigan Open last week.

The Buckeyes will give Virginia its biggest challenge of the season thus far, as the team currently has six wrestlers in the top-25 of their respective weight classes, two of which are ranked first (sophomores Nathan Tomasello at 125 lbs. and Bo Jordan at 174 lbs.).

However, the Cavaliers now have three of their own wrestlers appearing in the top 25 — junior George DiCamillo (No. 10, 133 lbs.), senior Zach Nye (No. 10, 197 lbs.) and sophomore Andrew Atkinson, who is making his first appearance in the rankings at No. 19 in the 157 weight class.

Virginia will return home Sunday for its first home dual meet of the season against No. 15 Old Dominion at 1 p.m. The Monarchs are coming off of the Jonathan Kaloust Open and have two wrestlers in the top 25 of their respective weight classes. Old Dominion has yet to compete in a dual meet this season.

—compiled by Mariel Messier