Women’s swim and dive stays undefeated, men split with Penn State and Michigan

<strong>Junior Leah Smith won two events in Ann Arbor this weekend.</strong><br />
Junior Leah Smith won two events in Ann Arbor this weekend.

After splitting their first match of the season against the Tennessee Volunteers — with the women winning and the men losing — the Virginia swimming and dive teams combined for three diving event victories in four matches in a two-day tri-meet against Michigan and Penn State this past weekend in Ann Arbor, Michigan.

The No. 4 Cavalier women (3-0, 0-0 ACC) continued their winning streak with victories over the No. 23 Michigan Wolverines (3-1, 3-0 Big Ten) and the No. 20 Penn State Nittany Lions (4-2, 0-1 Big Ten) by respective scores of 188-165 and 238-115. Led by junior swimmers Kaitlyn Jones and Leah Smith, each who won two events, the Cavalier women placed first in 11 out of 19 events, including in each of the diving events. Additionally, in the 100 butterfly, the Cavaliers placed 1-2-3 with Jones claiming victory, junior Shannon Rauth taking second and sophomore Jenn Markand placing third.

Meanwhile, the Virginia men (1-2, 0-0 ACC) went .500 on the weekend, beating the Nittany Lions (1-4, 0-1 Big Ten) by a score of 248-104 and losing to No. 8 Michigan (4-0, 3-0 Big Ten), 207-135. Out of the 19 events, the Cavaliers only produced two winners: former Swiss Olympian and senior swimmer Yannick Kaeser in the 100 breast with a time of 25.52 seconds; and senior diver Carl Buergler on the three-meter board with a score of 345.00 points.

The Virginia swimming and diving teams will be off for the rest of November and will resume competition Dec. 4-6 at the Georgia Fall Invitational in Athens, Georgia.