Wrestling wins six individual titles at Clarion Open

<p>Junior George DiCamillo and his Virginia teammates wrestle  at the Cliff Keen Invitational this weekend in Las Vegas.&nbsp;</p>

Junior George DiCamillo and his Virginia teammates wrestle at the Cliff Keen Invitational this weekend in Las Vegas. 

Six Virginia wrestlers won their respective weight classes Sunday at the Clarion Open hosted by Clarion University. In total, 13 Cavaliers placed in the event.

Senior Nick Herrmann won the 125-pound bracket, edging out Virginia senior Joseph Martinez in the finals. Martinez defeated teammate and freshman Jabari Moody in the weight class’ semifinals.

Junior George DiCamillo, the defending and two-time ACC champion at 133 pounds, captured the title in his weight class.

Two Cavaliers placed in the top-five of the 141-pound weight class. Freshman Sam Krivus was the runner up, while junior Zach Watson placed fifth. Junior Emilio Martinez was knocked out in the round of 16.

Sophomore Andrew Atkinson eliminated fellow Cavalier and freshman Cam Harrell en route to his title at 157 pounds. Harrell finished third. Also competing in the bracket was junior Dustin Roemer, who fell in the round of 16.

Redshirt freshman Garrett Peppelman reached the finals at 165 pounds but lost to Clarion freshman Evan Delong, who was competing unattached. Peppelman eliminated Cavalier sophomore Zak DePasquale in the quarterfinals.

Competing unattached, freshman Fox Baldwin claimed the 174-pound championship.

Redshirt freshman Will Schany reached the quarterfinals at 184 pounds.

Senior Zach Nye won at 197 pounds. Senior Patrick Gillen advanced to the semifinals before claiming third place in the heavyweight division.

Virginia returns to the mat next weekend for a string of four matches over two days. The Cavaliers travel for a dual meet with North Dakota State on Friday before participating in a quad meet held by No. 24 Minnesota the next day. Virginia will also compete against Grand Canyon and South Dakota State.

—compiled by Matt Wurzburger