Virginia outlasts Ohio State in ACC/Big Ten Challenge

<p>Starting in place of junior London Perrantes, sophomore guard Darius Thompson matched his season-high with 12 points and led the Cavaliers with six assists</p>

Starting in place of junior London Perrantes, sophomore guard Darius Thompson matched his season-high with 12 points and led the Cavaliers with six assists

Behind 22 points and a career high six threes from senior guard Malcolm Brogdon, Virginia battled its way to a 64-58 victory against Ohio State Tuesday in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge. The win was Virginia’s (6-1) fifth in a row since a 73-68 loss against George Washington Nov. 16, although it was the first time the Cavaliers had failed to reach 80 points in that stretch.

The Cavaliers announced four hours prior to tipoff starting junior point guard London Perrantes would miss Tuesday’s contest against the Buckeyes (2-4) after having an appendectomy Sunday. The Los Angeles, California native had started every game this season, averaging 10 points per game as the team’s floor general.

Sophomore guard Darius Thompson earned the start in place of Perrantes, playing a team high 36 minutes and matching his season high of 12 points. Senior forward Anthony Gill struggled to find a rhythm all night, but he finished with eight rebounds and 10 points. Gill has scored in double figures each game this season.

Virginia led 26-24 at halftime, marking the lowest halftime point total for the Cavaliers this season. Virginia took the lead for good after a jumper from sophomore guard Devon Hall broke a 42-42 tie with 12:55 to play.

The Cavaliers shot 44 percent from the floor. Brogdon finished 6-10 from three, helping Virginia shoot 50 percent from beyond the arc.

Virginia will next face William & Mary Saturday at 2 p.m. in John Paul Jones Arena. Perrantes’s status for the contest is to be determined.