McDonnell granted appeal by Supreme Court

Former governor to avoid incarceration while case is considered

<p>McDonnell was convicted Sept. 2014 on public corruption charges for accepting loans and gifts from Jonnie R. Williams of Star Scientific.</p>

McDonnell was convicted Sept. 2014 on public corruption charges for accepting loans and gifts from Jonnie R. Williams of Star Scientific.

The U.S. Supreme Court recently agreed to hear former Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell’s appeal of his conviction on charges of public corruption. McDonnell faces 11 charges and a two-year jail sentence, while his wife Maureen McDonnell faces nine charges.

McDonnell and his wife were found guilty September 2014 for accepting generous gifts and loans from Star Scientific executive Jonnie R. Williams in exchange for the promotion of the dietary supplement company’s products. The loans totalled more than $150,000, and the gifts included luxurious vacations, golf trips and expensive items such as a Rolex, golf clubs and iPhones.

McDonnell’s appeal has been met with support from Greg Craig and John M. Quinn, former counselors to Presidents Barack Obama and Bill Clinton, respectively. The Court has allowed McDonnell to avoid incarceration until the appeal is concluded.

Arts & Sciences graduate student Luke William Hunt, an incoming asssitant professor of criminal justice at Radford University, said he believes this bodes well for McDonnell’s case.

"It [is] of course difficult to read the tea leaves, but the fact that the Supreme Court gave McDonnell a reprieve from prison while it considered his appeal seems like a good sign for his case,” Hunt said in an email statement.

On one hand, the Supreme Court may see the loans and gifts as a normal part of politics, Hunt said. However, the Supreme Court may also decide that these types of actions have no place in the political process.

“Now that the [Supreme] Court decided to hear the case, one thing that we can be reasonably sure about is that it will help clarify at what point corrupt conduct becomes criminal,” Hunt said. “This could have significant repercussions on the political process.”

Some believe the punishment fits the crime and that McDonnell has undeniably engaged in criminal activity. The charges in this case are very serious and ultimately fair, third-year College student and University Democrats President Sam Tobin said.

“I tend to think this is above and beyond what all politicians do...He took something that clearly someone of clear sober judgment would not have done,” Tobin said. “While our political system does have a lot of problems, a lot of issues with money especially in the post-Citizens United world, this is above and beyond what I typically think goes on.”

The case will likely be heard this spring and a final decision has been predicted to be reached by June.

Correction: This article previously listed Luke William Hunt as a University Law professor.