Furious rally lifts Virginia past Wake Forest

Sophomore guard Darius Thompson banks in contested three at buzzer

<p>Senior guard Malcolm Brogdon, who hit a three pointer to bring Virginia within one point with six seconds remaining, tied a career high with 28 points Tuesday in the comeback win against Wake Forest.</p>

Senior guard Malcolm Brogdon, who hit a three pointer to bring Virginia within one point with six seconds remaining, tied a career high with 28 points Tuesday in the comeback win against Wake Forest.

Virginia was down 10 points with 1:23 to play. Then, down seven with 28 seconds remaining. Yet, against all odds, the Cavaliers pulled off as close to a miracle as can be accomplished in January basketball.

No. 11 Virginia (16-4, 5-3 ACC) hit three triples in the final 14 seconds to complete the comeback against Wake Forest. Sophomore guard Darius Thompson, who had not attempted a field goal all game, banked in a contested three at the buzzer to give the Cavaliers their first ACC road win of the season.

Virginia, which led for all of 45 seconds Tuesday, scored 18 points in the final 1:23 to stun the Demon Deacons (10-10, 1-7 ACC), 72-71.

A dunk by senior forward Anthony Gill cut the Wake Forest lead to 66-63 with 46 seconds remaining, but the Demon Deacons hit four free throws to take a 70-63 advantage with just 28 seconds remaining.

However, junior guard London Perrantes grabbed a steal on the ensuing Wake Forest possession, setting up a three by sophomore guard Marial Shayok, who had 10 points on a perfect 4-for-4 from the field.

After two missed free throws by the Demon Deacons, Virginia advanced the ball down court for senior guard Malcolm Brogdon to hit a trey with six seconds to play, cutting the lead to 70-69.

Wake Forest made one of its next two free throws. The Demon Deacons showed little pressure on the ensuing inbounds pass, allowing Thompson to hit a corner three, despite contact. The Tennessee transfer had yet to hit a triple since Virginia hosted California Dec. 22.

Brogdon led Virginia with 28 points, matching his career high set against George Washington earlier this season. The Cavaliers scored twice as many points in the second half — 48 — as they did in the first.

Virginia will next play Louisville Saturday at the KFC Yum! Center. Tipoff is scheduled for 1 p.m.