​REIMER: Students should take a look at Kasich

The Ohio governor has the qualities University students should want in a president

America is facing threats from all over the world. From a lawless Russia, to ISIS, to threats both at home and abroad, to economic and cultural challenges in our own country, America needs strong leadership to be able to efficiently handle the challenges of the 21st century.

We here at home, and especially young people and college students, also have a variety of issues specifically facing our generation. And Gov. John Kasich of Ohio, who is currently running for the Republican nomination for president and is polling consistently in second place in New Hampshire, has shown he is the one capable of being a champion for all Americans and especially for young people.

Back in October, Gov. Kasich spoke at the University of Richmond. In November, he spoke again here in Virginia at Regent University. During both visits he demonstrated that he especially values the voice of young people, cares about our issues and believes we have a part to play in our country’s political process not just in the future but right now.

In Ohio, Gov. Kasich has led the fight in keeping college costs under control while keeping quality and opportunity. He has encouraged public universities to keep tuition low and affordable for those of modest means. He has done this by having public universities cut the excess bells and whistles, streamline inefficient programs, and focus on their key educational and social functions.

Ohio State University has bucked the inflationary trend in college costs by keeping tuition and fees at a flat rate, $10,037, for in-state undergraduates for the 2014-15 and 2015-16 years. But Gov. Kasich hasn’t just wanted to freeze college costs, but in fact has recently pushed for Ohio colleges to look for ways to decrease tuition costs. In contrast, here at the University of Virginia, the Board of Visitors approved last spring a 13.4 percent increase, to $14,476, for in-state tuition and fees for incoming freshman.

Gov. Kasich has also shown he knows how to unify at a time when our country seems sharply divided. In Ohio he has sky-high approval ratings among not just Republicans, but also Independents and even Democrats. We here in Virginia can understand what an achievement that is, as we live in one of the most bitterly divided and partisan states in the country. I think our country could benefit from looking more at what we have in common rather than what divides us.

In our years at the University, many of us have gotten to know the City of Charlottesville, Albemarle County and the rest of the Shenandoah Valley to varying degrees. Many of us see firsthand what a beautiful and pristine place it is, but many of us also see that there are many who are struggling to make a living in the region as well.

In Ohio, Gov. Kasich has made it a priority to reach out to similarly neglected and struggling rural and post-industrial areas of the state and provide them with a helping hand to get back on their feet. Gov. Kasich took the controversial decision of expanding Medicaid in Ohio, which allows those who are most vulnerable to no longer live in dependency and in the shadows but rather become productive, producing, tax-paying members of society once again.

Gov. Kasich also brings to the table a level of experience that is needed to properly address the challenges of the 21st century. He served almost 20 years in Congress where he was an active member of the House Armed Services Committee and Chaired the House Budget Committee, which led to the first federal budget surplus in almost half a century. After that, he worked in the financial world where played a part firsthand in creating jobs. Since then, he has served for over five years as the governor of one of this country’s largest states.

As part of Gov. Kasich’s team here in Virginia, I’ve had the pleasure of speaking with thousands of Virginia voters these past few months about Gov. Kasich’s impressive background and his vision for America. Many University students have been a great part of our efforts and we hope that more will continue to be.

Gov. Kasich successfully filed back in November to be on the ballot here in Virginia for the March 1 primary. Many University students participated in our efforts whether by signing the nominating petitions or collecting petition signatures themselves.

Governor Kasich has shown that has what it takes to be the leader that our generation needs, which is why the slogan of the campaign is “Kasich for Us.”

Erich Reimer is a second-year Law student and is Kasich for America’s 5th Congressional District Coordinator.