U.Va. to submit education records to Rolling Stone

District court denied objections to request for records

<p>von Daacke said although the history of&nbsp;slavery at the University and in Virginia can be&nbsp;an unpleasant topic,&nbsp;it&nbsp;is a crucial part of America's past&nbsp;and something which&nbsp;students should learn about.&nbsp;</p>

von Daacke said although the history of slavery at the University and in Virginia can be an unpleasant topic, it is a crucial part of America's past and something which students should learn about. 

U.S. District Court Chief Judge Glen Conrad denied objections to the University’s disclosure of education records to Rolling Stone, writer Sabrina Rubin Erdely and Wenner Media on January 13.

Conrad’s ruling will also compel Jackie to provide documents related to the Rolling Stone article “A Rape on Campus” to be used in the investigation of Assoc. Dean Nicole Eramo’s defamation lawsuit.

Although the educational records were requested in August, the court permitted students to object to the disclosure of their records in November on the basis of Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.

“The University will comply with the court’s ruling and provide the requested educational records in response to the subpoena in the manner directed by the court,” University spokesperson Anthony de Bruyn said in an emailed statement.

The educational records will be devoid of personal information that could be used to possibly identify students. Affected students will also be notified before the submission of their academic records.

“Among other things, the Court ruled that the University has complied with its obligations under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, and the University will continue to protect students’ privacy interests by disclosing educational records in accordance with a protective order already entered by the court,” de Bruyn said.