Love songs, hate songs

A&E’s Valentine’s Day playlist has songs for everyone

<p>A&E's recurring playlist contains recommended jams and favorite tunes of the Arts & Entertainment staff.</p>

A&E's recurring playlist contains recommended jams and favorite tunes of the Arts & Entertainment staff.

Each month, Arts & Entertainment staff members compile a list of their current favorite tracks hoping to help readers find their new go-to jam. Look out for occasional themed playlists and solid tracks from a wide range of genres every month. Celebrate or bemoan Valentine’s Day with this week’s love-themed edition.

1. “Let’s Get it On” by Marvin Gaye

This classic slow-jam is sure to start your Valentine's Day off right. Whether you want to make your significant other feel incredibly uncomfortable with lyrics like, "If you feel like I feel, baby / Then c'mon, c'mon," or clearly tell your friend you have more than friendly feelings, let Marvin Gaye communicate for you this holiday.

- Maggie Snow

2. “Carol Brown” by Flight of the Conchords

This song, in which Flight of the Conchords singer Jermaine Clement mourns his numerous romantic failures, is one of the band’s strongest songs. It’s also a perfect song to help you wallow in singleness. Featuring a choir of bitter ex-girlfriends, this is a perfect, light complement to Valentine’s angst.

- Christian Hecht

3. “The River” by Bruce Springsteen

"The River" is both depressing enough for lamenting singles on Valentine's Day and sweet enough for the happy couples (damn them).

- Flo Overfelt

4. “Can’t Help Falling in Love” by Ingrid Michaelson

Elvis’s original version of "Can't Help Falling in Love" is a classic in its own right, but Ingrid Michaelson puts her own unique twist on the song, turning it into a slow, beautiful piano ballad. This modern cover may be more romantic than its predecessor.

- Ellen Adams

5. “Lay All Your Love On Me” by ABBA

Lively, catchy and straight to the point, ABBA's "Lay All Your Love on Me" is sure to communicate exactly what hopeless romantics are looking for. Its distinct melody is perfect to serenade any crush or long-time lover with this Valentine's Day.

- Helen Edwards

6. “Sunday Candy” by Donnie Trumpet & Social Experiment

"Sunday Candy" is a gospel-inspired song about the sweet bliss of waiting to see a lover or significant other. This collaboration between the Social Experiment, a group including Chance the Rapper, Donnie Trumpet, Peter Cottontale, Nate Fox and Jamila Woods, is a heartfelt track to make listeners crave the same honest and meaningful relationship the singers are praising.

- Alexis Jones

7. “Personality” by Lil Dicky ft. T-Pain

Hey fellas, have you been avoiding the gym for a few months? Do you feel like this Valentine’s Day won’t go well with your less-than-stellar physique? Don't worry. Lil Dicky's got another way for you to find love. Hint: it's with your personality.

- Karim Saoud

8. “Wasting Time” by Taylor Bennett ft. Simone Bisous

This soulful hip-hop song discusses the desire for an intimate knowledge of another person and the importance of chasing after them. Whether listeners are alone or in a relationship, Bennett's song describes the level of intimacy Valentine's day embodies. His emphasis on closeness paired with the unpredictability of life also makes this song a fitting motivator for anyone wasting time debating if they should get to know a special person in their life.

- Kyle Canady

9. “Sure Thing” by Miguel

Miguel schools listeners on the meaning of true love in this smooth R&B song. The Los Angeles crooner employs inspired metaphors to reassure his lover of his strong feelings. On paper, these analogies are undeniably cheesy, like, “You be the match, I’mma be your fuse,” but Miguel delivers them in his warm, sensual voice, and all is forgiven.

- Rose Montgomery

10. “Lucky” by Jason Mraz

“Lucky” is not the typical love story or sappy, cliché song played on repeat during National Singles Awareness Day. Mraz’s soft voice soothes and brightens whoever happens to listen. This honest, uncomplicated song is light and reassuring, acknowledging the possibility of your best friend also being your partner for life. The sincerity found within the innocent lyrics offers a reprieve from the constant flow of spontaneous, empty words so many artists spout for a profit.

- Anna Morgan

11. “Swept Away [Sentimental Version]” by The Avett Brothers

It's a stripped down, genuine, non-corporate song overflowing with simple and sincere love. This may or may not describe the modern Valentine's Day, but listeners can all agree this tune at least matches the ideals of a day devoted to love.

- Michael Crawford

12. “The Night We Met” by Lord Huron

This one is geared towards those who have no other option this Valentine's Day than to be alone with their memories. Lord Huron’s haunting ballad of loss is just as sad and lonely as the tempo suggests, and the lyrics cut even deeper: “I don't know what I'm supposed to do, haunted by the ghost of you / Oh, take me back to the night we met.”

- Henry Harris

13. “Us” by Regina Spektor

“Us” is not just a love song, but a compelling love story in itself drawing listeners in until the very last note. Spektor’s beautiful voice coupled with the regal sound of a grand piano is a dramatic pairing. While the song may not seem like an outright love story, the lyrics speak of a romantic drama involving two outlaw lovers who refuse to conform to the wishes of those around them. The track itself is a striking jewel of a love song.

- Julia Stembridge

14. “Love Myself” by Hailee Steinfeld

This song is the perfect Valentine's Day jam for anyone spending the day alone. Steinfeld's upbeat anthem — a double entendre about being confident in oneself, and of course, masturbation — exemplifies how those without dates this weekend might feel.

- Vondrae McCoy

Listen to the full playlist below or on the Arts & Entertainment section’s Spotify page at CavalierDailyAE. Tune in next month for another installment.