​U.Va. double alumna appointed by McAuliffe

Irma Palmer becomes new director of Constituent Services

Gov. Terry McAuliffe announced several new appointments to his administration Feb. 5, including Irma Palmer — a double alumna of the University — as the director of Constituent Services.

Palmer received a Bachelor of Arts Degree in English in 2010 and continued at the University to study at the Batten School, receiving a Master’s Degree in Public Policy in 2015. Palmer will replace the former director, Reginald McKoy, who left to work for other campaigns.

Palmer’s new position primarily involves public outreach and relations for the Governor.

“I manage a team of six people to proactively inform the public of the governor's policy positions, provide Virginians with information on state resources and respond to constituent inquiries,” Palmer said.

Palmer said she believes her time at the University has been beneficial to her by helping her hone the abilities needed for her career.

“Both of my U.Va. degrees enhanced my analytical, interpersonal and messaging skills, which are essential as a director of Constituent Services,” she said. “U.Va. holds a special place in my heart.”

Palmer was very involved in various activities at the University, including Virginia Women’s Chorus and a leadership program in the Batten School. She remains connected to the University now through Alumni Hall by serving on the Giving Committee for her class’s five-year reunion and the Alumni Interest Group for Virginia Women’s Chorus.

Palmer has had a history of work in the political field, beginning in high school.

“I started interning on Capitol Hill in high school and returned each college summer to work for different members of Congress,” Palmer said.

After receiving her undergraduate degree, she also worked as press assistant to then-Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) and as press secretary for the U.S. Senate Committee on Small Business and Entrepreneurship. Prior to her appointment as director, she had been working as a traveling press secretary for the McAuliffe administration.

McAuliffe’s other appointments included two new members of the Common Interest Community Board and a new member of the Commonwealth Health Research Board.