Chaney, Wynn headline strong showing in New York

<p>Junior Henry Wynn shattered Mark Amirault's '12 school record indoors with a 7:53.89 finish in the 3000 meters Friday. &nbsp; </p>

Junior Henry Wynn shattered Mark Amirault's '12 school record indoors with a 7:53.89 finish in the 3000 meters Friday.  

At the Fastrack National Qualifier Invite this past weekend in Staten Island, N.Y., familiar names brought success to the Virginia men’s and women’s indoor track and field teams. In combination, the teams had 14 top-3 finishes, including six victories.

Yet again, senior Peyton Chaney delivered for the women’s indoor track and field squad. While she placed fifth a few weeks back in the 200-meter dash at the John Thomas Terrier Invitational, which was the best result for the team that weekend, she won the event for the Cavaliers at this meet with a time of 23.84. Also, Chaney and juniors Chimere Ezumah, Heather Smith and Andrea Wright placed first in the 4x400-meter relay.

In addition to the strong performance of Chaney, junior Cleo Boyd also won the 5,000 meters,

Meanwhile, the No. 18 men’s indoor track and field team had an equally strong showing. On the field side, sophomore Aaron Worrell won the triple jump, and sophomore Filip Mihaljevic won the shot put.

In the track events, the Cavaliers sole victory came from senior Evan Chiplock in the 5,000 meters, though junior Henry Wynne made history in the 3,000 meter. Finishing second with a time of 7:53.89, Wynne broke the school record in the event.

Next week, the team will head to Winston-Salem, N.C. to partake in the UCS Invitational. This will be the last meet the Cavaliers compete at before the ACC Championships starting on Feb. 25, which will be held in Boston, Mass.