“Grease: Live” is the word

FOX’s first foray into live TV musicals is a hit

<p>"Grease: Live" fell short of the iconic original film but should be commended for excellent cast performances.</p>

"Grease: Live" fell short of the iconic original film but should be commended for excellent cast performances.

Last week’s rain in Los Angeles couldn’t dampen the electric spirit of “Grease: Live,” which triumphed despite the dreary weather. Led by a talented cast and aided by clever set design, “Grease: Live” exceeded expectations and raised the bar for television musicals.

The success of “Grease: Live” was largely due to its near-perfect cast. Aaron Tveit was suitably dreamy as lead T-bird Danny Zuko, and his Broadway background shined through in his vocals and dancing.

Julianne Hough, however, was the weakest cast member as Zuko’s love interest, Sandy. Although she was competent, Hough lacked charm and was outshined by her superior co-stars.

Vanessa Hudgens stole the show with her impeccable performance as Rizzo, effortlessly shifting between the character’s edginess and vulnerability. Her emotional rendition of “There Are Worse Things I Could Do” is even more impressive considering Hudgens’ father passed away shortly before the performance.

Even members of the supporting cast gave solid performances. Newcomer Jordan Fisher’s standout moment as Doody singing “Those Magic Changes” was arguably the highlight of the show, and Ana Gasteyer played uptight Principal McGee with perfect comedic timing.

Carly Rae Jepsen was surprisingly good as beauty school dropout, Frenchy. However, the original song she performed, “All I Need is an Angel,” was the biggest misstep of the night. Although it showcased Jepsen’s vocals well, the song was too somber and modern for the otherwise silly, lighthearted musical.

The show quickly recovered during “Beauty School Dropout,” due in no small part to the inspired casting of R&B group Boyz II Men as Teen Angel.

The set design for “Grease: Live” was also very impressive. Despite outdoor sets being limited by rain, the indoor sets were elaborate. Scene shifts between the gym, the diner and school hallways were seamless.

Most importantly, “Grease: Live” was just pure fun, from its big musical numbers to its brilliant performances. Although it may not be as iconic as the original 1978 movie, the show achieved a real feat, proving the phenomenon of TV musicals is not going anywhere.