​“Mac and Dennis Move to the Suburbs” is a return to form

“It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia” explores horrors of domesticity in the latest episode

<p>Fans will appreciate the traditional take on last week's episode of "It's Always Sunny."</p>

Fans will appreciate the traditional take on last week's episode of "It's Always Sunny."

After a season and a half of living in Dee’s apartment, Mac and Dennis finally find a new home in the latest episode of “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia.”

The co-dependent, marriage-like relationship between best friends Mac and Dennis has been a recurring theme throughout the series, and it gets taken a step further as they move to the suburbs together.

Following a crowded and disjointed fourth episode, “Mac and Dennis Move to the Suburbs” benefits significantly from a much more focused storyline.

The story plays out in a manner reminiscent of “The Shining” as both characters are gradually driven insane by the quiet and isolation of the suburbs. This is complemented well by ominous piano which underscores their restless nights.

Mac and Dennis naturally fall into the stay-at-home and working spouse roles, respectively. This allows Dennis to gradually become enraged at his daily commute, and Mac to become despondent as he ineptly takes care of the household chores. These roles fit well with previously seen instances of their relationship, and allows for a nice play on the cliché married relationship.

The episode makes good use of repetition as both characters start to crack with the monotony of daily life, which culminates in a great montage.

All of this builds up to a darkly hilarious implosion, which ushers in a potentially new status quo. While the show has had a solid season overall, the highlights shine through when the storylines cover new material as opposed to rehashing old jokes.

While Mac and Dennis have an established married-couple dynamic, this episode takes it a step further and offers a hilarious storyline while remaining true to both characters.