Men claim third, women ninth at ACC Indoor Championships

<p>Junior Henry Wynne's two first-place results contributed to the Virginia men's third-place finish at the ACC Indoor Championships. Wynne ran one leg of the distance medley relay that broke the ACC Championship record, and he also triumphed in the mile.&nbsp;</p>

Junior Henry Wynne's two first-place results contributed to the Virginia men's third-place finish at the ACC Indoor Championships. Wynne ran one leg of the distance medley relay that broke the ACC Championship record, and he also triumphed in the mile. 

After three days of competition in Boston, Mass., the Virginia men’s and women’s indoor track and field teams received the same results at the ACC Indoor Championships as they did in 2015. The men finished third — tied for the best finish in program history — and the women finished ninth.

The No. 23 Virginia men, with a final score of 64 points, finished behind Syracuse and Clemson, which had 88 and 76.50 points, respectively. The Cavalier men won three events in total. Winning the shot put, junior Filip Mihaljevic captured his second-consecutive ACC Championship in the event.

In the other two victories — the distance medley relay and the mile — junior Henry Wynne played an integral role in Virginia’s success. Setting the ACC Championship record with a time of 9:36.27, Wynne, along with freshman Matthew Novak, sophomore Kenneth Hagen and junior Nathan Kiley, narrowly edged out Syracuse’s time of 9:36.74.

Additionally, Wynne’s first-place finish in the mile on the last day of competition gave Virginia a much-needed boost heading into the awards ceremony.

Meanwhile, finishing in ninth place with 37 points, the Virginia women weren’t able to reach their goal of breaking into the top five. However, some individuals shined in competition. In the mile, graduate student Iona Lake won with a time of 4:36.11, the only victory for the Cavalier women over the weekend.

In the 60 meters, senior Peyton Chaney, who has arguably been the team’s most consistent member, recorded a third-place finish with a personal record of 7.40. In the shot put, junior Christine Bohan finished second with a throw of 16.53 meters. Finally, sophomore Bridget Guy finished fourth in the pole vault with a height of 4.17 meters, a school record.

Selected Cavaliers will have a short break before they head to the NCAA Indoor Championships, set for March 11-12 in Birmingham, Ala. Official invites will be announced this week to those who will have the chance to compete at the Championships.