Men's tennis falls to North Carolina

<p>Senior Ryan Shane dropped his singles match in a tiebreaker to North Carolina junior Brayden Schnur. Shane and the Cavaliers saw their streak of 140 consecutive ACC wins snapped Monday.&nbsp;  </p>

Senior Ryan Shane dropped his singles match in a tiebreaker to North Carolina junior Brayden Schnur. Shane and the Cavaliers saw their streak of 140 consecutive ACC wins snapped Monday. 

The top-ranked Cavalier men’s tennis team fell to North Carolina in the ITA National Men’s Indoor final Monday. As the tournament’s top seed, Virginia was favored over the third-seeded Tar Heels, but ultimately suffered a hard-fought loss by a final score of 4-2. This defeat was a historic one, as it ended Virginia’s unprecedented 140 game ACC winning streak.

The match began with the Cavaliers capturing the doubles point with a pair of 6-3 victories to set Virginia up with a 1-0 lead. In singles, Virginia began with a victory, as J.C. Aragone made short work of North Carolina’s Robert Kelly 6-2, 6-3. Unfortunately, once the Cavaliers led 2-0, no more good news came.

Virginia then lost four consecutive singles matches including two devastating three-set losses, as the Tar Heel’s Brayden Schnur defeated Senior Ryan Shane 2-6, 7-5, 7-6 and North Carolina’s Ronnie Schneider took down junior Thai-Son Kwiatkowski 4-6, 6-3, 7-6. The Tar Heels clinched the victory when Jack Murray beat Virginia’s Mac Styslinger 6-4, 0-6, 7-5.

In all, the Cavaliers had disappointing performances in tight matches. Two tiebreak losses proved to be the difference Monday afternoon. Now, with almost two weeks until their next match, Virginia will look to regroup over the break and move forward with more determination than ever.