​“Pride and Prejudice and Zombies” is an entertaining mash-up

Movie delivers horror, comedy romance

<p>The sword-wielding Bennet sisters</p>

The sword-wielding Bennet sisters

“Pride and Prejudice and Zombies,” adapted from the book of the same name, takes Jane Austen’s classic love story and adds an interesting twist. The result of the mash-up is a fast-paced, exciting movie which combines the best elements of the beloved story with the action and horror of a zombie apocalypse.

Set in 19th century England, the film centers around the Bennet family’s five daughters, whose father has trained them well in the art of killing zombies. Their mother, however, is less interested in the war against the undead and more focused on marrying her daughters off to wealthy suitors.

The plot follows the Bennet daughters, specifically the second oldest, Elizabeth Bennet (Lily James), as they look for love within the aristocracy and fight to take back England from the undead.

The dialogue is witty and fast-paced, and keeps the audience entertained even without the addition of the occasional zombie fight scene.

Elizabeth is a compelling protagonist and is portrayed as a strong, rebellious woman who refuses to marry simply for money or status, despite the pressures of society. Her personality is enhanced greatly from the original storyline since she is a skilled warrior, killing zombies left and right.

Also remarkable is Parson Collins (Matt Smith), a suitor to Elizabeth who is to be entrusted with the Bennet estate when Mr. Bennet dies. Collins’ skills, however, lie more in ballroom dancing than in slaying zombies. He’s an effeminate character whose contrast with the strong-willed, battle-tested daughters is the source of more than a few comedic moments. In one scene, he is left behind to hold the girls’ purses while they take down a zombie in the woods.

One of the movie’s failings, however, is its occasional inability to seamlessly combine the original story with the zombie narrative. The first half of the movie may as well have been called “Pride and Prejudice or Zombies,” because it primarily follows the plotline of the original story with bursts of unprompted zombie attacks.

The daughters attend a ball, dance with their suitors, then fight off zombies; this then repeats again at the next social gathering. Granted, the task of convincingly combining the two genres is daunting, but the tactic of merely alternating between the two becomes a bit predictable.

As the plot progresses, the zombies become an increasingly real factor in the story and less of a sideshow. This accumulates to a suspenseful, satisfying conclusion incorporating the best of both worlds.

The addition of zombies to a classic Jane Austen tale is certainly an intriguing premise and despite some forgivable failings, “Pride and Prejudice and Zombies” delivers an entertaining mash-up.