Lessons I learned from "Snowmageddon"

Understanding what you need in the present

When Snowmageddon hit a couple weeks ago, I’m pretty sure I was the happiest Wahoo at this school — not because I was particularly excited at the thought of playing in the snow, but because I had a valid excuse to shut myself up in my apartment all weekend. There is nothing quite like the feeling after your schedule is completely cleared and your social obligations are postponed. I was giddy at the thought of wrapping myself in furry blankets, binge watching “Parks and Recreation” and not having to move off my couch unless I wanted more popcorn.

However, there were a few times during my extended stay on the couch when I found myself questioning if my decision to remain in hibernation was a good one. After the initial laid-back morning, most of my friends began to venture out into the snowy tundra for snowball fights and sledding. I was relatively surprised by my own lack of desire to get out and spend time with them, and I felt guilty for not wanting to capitalize on a moment during which I could make memories here at the University.

If my thought process surrounding my snow day sounds a bit silly and frivolous, it’s because in a way, it was. In the grand scheme of things, the way I choose to spend one weekend will have no real impact on the shape of my life or the way my relationships with my friends will pan out over the coming years.

Regardless, I couldn’t help but be reminded of how little time I have at the University, and how much I want to remember each individual, seemingly small detail of my experience as a college student. In the middle of a Netflix episode, I imagined myself 20 years from now, questioning why I decided to miss out on an opportunity to create vivid memories I would cherish down the road. It took me a couple of moments to realize this way of thinking, though valid, was a little extreme.

Yes, our time in college is fleeting, and, when taken in conjunction with the ever-present saying “college is the best four years of your life,” the pressure to capitalize on time here can become overwhelming. There are real internal and external pressures to pack in as many experiences as possible before I’m handed my diploma in May of 2018. And as evidenced by my reactions to Snowmageddon, those pressures often create difficult choices in regards to how I spend my time.

While it’s important to keep the fleeting nature of college in mind to ensure I put myself out there and appreciate the experiences I have at the University, it’s not healthy to stress myself out trying to partake in something memorable every moment of the day. My brain and body can’t handle that.

I’m learning my teachers, parents and mentors were telling the truth when they told me college is about finding balance — even though I was sick of hearing the word at the time. It’s good to take advantage of opportunities to have an adventure, actively make memories with your friends and experience things you may not get to experience again. It’s equally as important, however, to realize you can’t predict the things which will be most meaningful to you.

Living your life the way you think you will want to look back on it is not always the healthiest method for your present self. Sometimes, you need to come to terms with the fact that it’s ok to do the solitary, simple things every once in awhile. Sometimes, quoting “Parks and Recreation” by yourself with a handful of popcorn in your mouth is exactly what a snow day calls for.