Students, businesses make Valentine’s plans

Corner restaurants offer specials

<p>Several restaurants on the Corner are running special promotions Feb. 14.</p>

Several restaurants on the Corner are running special promotions Feb. 14.

As Valentine’s Day approaches, students and businesses are making plans to celebrate the holiday.

Café Caturra is running a fixed menu where diners can order a three course meal for a couple at a set price. Entrees include a choice between baked stuffed lobster, rack of lamb and wild mushroom risotto. Wine pairings will also be available for an additional price.

Café Caturra is also having “Louis Smith to play his little acoustic shindig,” Liz Helm, bartender and fourth-year College student, said.

“He’s actually here every Sunday, but he will be playing extra on Valentine’s Day to serenade everyone,” Helm said.

Basil Mediterranean Bistro is having a similar special by offering a three course meal and glass of wine per person per couple for a set price and a bottle of wine at an additional cost. They also have an option for singles to order a three course meal and glass of wine on their own.

First-year College student John Hudson said he thinks large numbers of students will be going to restaurants on Sunday night.

“I’ve literally never taken a girl out on Valentine’s Day before,” he said. “I procrastinated planning the dinner so finding a restaurant that still had reservations available was pretty hard. My reservation is actually at 9:00 at night.”

Hudson said it was a learning experience and said others should make their reservations in advance.

Other students have decided it’s better to wait until the Valentine’s Day rush is over.

Fourth-year College student Margaret Campbell said her boyfriend made reservations several weeks ago for the Monday after Valentine’s Day.

“My boyfriend has a Trigon retreat which he doesn’t plan on sleeping a lot at and so he was planning on getting back on Sunday and sleeping the rest of the day,” she said. “I hope by going out on Monday we won’t have to worry about waiting for food as long or the restaurants being as busy.”

Some students, like fourth-year Education student Mollie Bland, won’t be going out to eat with a significant other but have made other plans.

“I’m going on a hot date with myself… to work,” Bland said. “I will be sending home some Valentine’s Day cards to my families and friends to celebrate.”

Correction: This article previously misspelled the Trigon Engineering Society.