U.Va. searching for new vice provost of research

Committee plans to appoint by fall semester

<p>The VPR is responsible for the “integration and enhancement of research activities” across University schools and research centers, according to the VPR Office website.</p>

The VPR is responsible for the “integration and enhancement of research activities” across University schools and research centers, according to the VPR Office website.

The University is searching for a new vice provost of research after the last VPR stepped down in late 2014.

Currently, the position is being filled by an interim administrator while the search committee is looking for a permanent replacement.

“Our goal is to have someone in place by the fall semester,” Catherine Bradshaw, chair of the search committee, said.

Previously, the vice provost of research was known as the vice president of research. The change in name reflects a slight change in the role of the VPR, which will now be more connected with the Provost’s Office instead of operating fairly independently as it had before, Bradshaw said.

“The change in title sends a signal that the position and candidate we are looking for is less an administrator than a senior faculty member and thought leader who will be fully integrated with academics,” Executive Vice President and Provost Thomas C. Katsouleas said in an email statement.

The VPR is responsible for the “integration and enhancement of research activities” across University schools and research centers, according to the VPR Office website. Bradshaw said the search committee hopes the new VPR will help solidify the several pan-University research institutes.

“The VPR will work with faculty and administrators to improve laboratory infrastructure across the University, enhance staff support for grant writing, support Ph.D. fellowships and help researchers and schools become more productive,” Deputy Spokesperson Matt Charles said in an email statement.

Additional responsibilities of the VPR include acquiring research funding, coordinating public outreach and planning and developing research space.

“This position calls for leadership at the highest level,” Katsouleas said. “We are looking for a proven leader, a highly successful visionary researcher who will focus resources on helping others become highly successful.”