Virginia track and field continues success in Blacksburg

Cavalier men and women record a number of top-ten finishes

<p>One of two seniors on the women's track team, Peyton Chaney sprinted her  way to top-five finishes in both the 60-meter and 200-meter over the weekend. </p>

One of two seniors on the women's track team, Peyton Chaney sprinted her way to top-five finishes in both the 60-meter and 200-meter over the weekend.

The John Thomas Terrier Invitational in Boston, Mass. two weekends ago showcased the ability of both the Virginia men’s and women’s indoor track and field teams, as many runners had top-10 finishes.

At the Doc Hale Elite Meet in Blacksburg over the weekend, both teams continued their success.

The best results for the Cavalier women came in the pentathlon. In this event, freshman Alana Herran and sophomore Holly Sullivan claimed the top two spots. Additionally, senior sprinter Peyton Chaney, who had the best finish for the Virginia women in Boston, placed third and fifth in the 60-meter and 200-meter dash, respectively.

For the women’s field events, junior thrower Christine Bohan made some noise with a fourth-place finish in the shot put, while sophomore Bridget Guy placed sixth in the pole vault.

The No. 18 Virginia men saw success with field events as sophomore Oghenakpobo Efekoro was the sole Cavalier winner at the meet, placing first in the shot put. In addition, freshman Hilmar Jonsson finished sixth in the weight throw.

Another notable event for Virginia was the heptathlon, which produced two top-five competitors, including senior Christian Lavorgna, who took second, and sophomore Cam Collins, who placed fifth.

Select Virginia track and field athletes will return to compete Friday, Feb. 12 in Staten Island, N.Y. at the Fastrack National Qualifier Invite.