​Virginia women’s basketball to play final home game Thursday

The Cavaliers will be honoring lone senior Faith Randolph

The Virginia women’s basketball team lists only one senior on its 2015-16 roster — Faith Randolph. The Cavaliers (15-13, 5-9 ACC) will honor Randolph before Thursday night’s contest against North Carolina.

The Derwood, Md. native is wrapping up a remarkable career at Virginia. She has averaged 11.4 points over her four seasons and scored 1256 points in the orange and blue, even while sidelined for an extended amount of time in 2016.

After suffering a broken-thumb injury in the 46-74 loss to Notre Dame Jan. 7, Randolph missed the next nine games. Her Cavaliers went 2-7 over that stretch, falling into the bottom third of the ACC Conference. Without Randolph to guide them on the court, they lost their identity. The senior returned to action against Boston College Feb. 14, and with her team-high six assists, helped Virginia snap its six-game losing streak.

Since then, the Cavaliers have fallen 59-74 to No. 11 Louisville on the road Feb. 18 and defeated Clemson 65-48 at John Paul Jones Arena Sunday. Randolph scored only four points on two of 12 shooting against the Eagles. Versus the Cardinals and Tigers, she finished with a team-high 17 points and 13, respectively.

On an emotionally charged senior night, Randolph should attack at will, and if the shots aren’t falling, she’ll incorporate her Virginia teammates.

Though their overall record might indicate otherwise, the Tar Heels (14-15, 4-10 ACC) won’t let it come easy. They have victories over Virginia Tech, 71-67, and Syracuse, 77-73, that ought to earn the Cavaliers’ respect, considering these two teams dismantled Virginia in Charlottesville.

North Carolina has the luxury of having four players — freshmen guards Stephanie Watts and Destinee Walker, sophomore guard Jamie Cherry and junior Hillary Summers — who average double figures in scoring. Virginia must hold these four at or below their averages and challenge a weaker Tar Heel bench to be the difference.

“We’ve always matched well with them,” coach Joanne Boyle said. “They’re a little bit down this year in terms of the number of people they play, but they are still very athletic, skilled and capable. It’s Faith’s senior night and I know everyone wants to send her out on a good note.”

The Cavaliers will begin their final home game against the Tar Heels Thursday at 7 p.m.