Women’s golf places 11th at Sugar Bowl Intercollegiate

Early season struggles continue for the Cavaliers

<p>Senior&nbsp;Elizabeth Szokol&nbsp;led the way individually for Virginia, posting the team’s low round for the tournament. The senior also recorded&nbsp;the team’s highest individual placement at 25th with a 4-over 220 three-day total.</p>

Senior Elizabeth Szokol led the way individually for Virginia, posting the team’s low round for the tournament. The senior also recorded the team’s highest individual placement at 25th with a 4-over 220 three-day total.

The women’s golf team continued its early struggles at the Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegiate in the team’s second tournament of the spring season which took place from Sunday to Tuesday in New Orleans, La. Virginia placed ninth last weekend at the Florida State Matchup in their first tournament of the season.

The team finished with a three-day total of 25-over 889, one shot outside of the top-10 in the 18-team tournament. Florida ultimately took first place at 2-under 262, edging out Oklahoma State by a single stroke.

The Cavaliers started off the tournament on a rough note in Sunday’s first round, posting a 16-over 304, tied for 14th with just a two-shot cushion from last place. However, the ladies rallied behind senior Elizabeth Szokol’s second round 69 (3-under) to post 2-under 286 on Monday, the second-lowest round of the day, which tied them for 10th and within striking distance of the top-five. However, the team slumped again in Tuesday’s final round with an 11-over 299, which slid them back to an 11th place finish.

Szokol led the way individually for Virginia, posting the team’s low round for the tournament as well as the team’s highest individual placement at 25th with a 4-over 220 three-day total. Junior Lauren Diaz-Yi finished at 8-over 224, senior Lauren Coughlin and freshman Morgan Gonzales tied at 9-over 225, while freshman Anna Redding pulled up the rear at 11-over 227.

The team will get a week off before they are back in action for the Darius Rucker Intercollegiate from March 4-6 in Hilton Head Island, S.C.