Reloaded women’s lacrosse embarks on 2016 campaign

Cavaliers tasked with replacing six starters, four All-Americans

Last year’s Virginia women’s lacrosse team was one of the most talented teams in the country. Having four All-American players, the Cavaliers were ranked nationally in the top 10 the entire season and advanced to the final 16 of the NCAA Women’s Lacrosse tournament.

Six of the 12 starters on that team, including all four All-Americans, have since graduated.

With 10 highly touted incoming freshman, including six high school All-Americans, and with returning top players reigning ACC Freshman of the Year goalie Rachel Vander Kolk and sophomore midfielder Kasey Behr, who scored 26 goals last season, the Cavaliers are skilled and confident heading into this season as the 10th-ranked team in the nation.

“We are very balanced and blended. I think we are really ready to get going,” Coach Julie Myers said.

Entering her 21st season at the helm, Myers is looking to maintain an incredible streak of being ranked in the top 20 every week during her tenure.

And while this is a young team, with just five seniors on the 28 player roster, the Cavaliers’ hard work through the offseason has Myers unconcerned.

“I can’t even tell who is older and younger,” Myers said. “We’ve had them since September, so I don’t feel like anyone is new anymore.”

Virginia showed a glimpse of their potential over this past fall in successful scrimmages against teams like Ohio State and James Madison. Since then, the new-look Cavaliers have continued to gel and develop a strong team chemistry both on and off the field as they gear up for the season.

“It’s an upbeat team,” senior defender Ella Cooper said. “We are a really close knit group.”

Much credit must go to Cooper, the co-captain of the Cavaliers along with senior captain Mary Alati, for helping assimilate the new players into the group and making the team tight and strong despite its youth. But she was quick to extend the credit to all the other experienced players on Virginia.

“All the seniors have done a really good job taking on a leadership role and bringing everyone together,” Cooper said.

The Cavaliers have already developed chemistry, but the team will be tested early and throughout the season. In addition to playing in the ACC, the toughest conference in women’s lacrosse with six teams ranked nationally, Virginia will face strong non-conference foes. Beginning with their first game of the season this Saturday against the No. 5 Northwestern.

“We are really getting down and focusing,” Cooper said. “Everyone is stepping up to the plate.”

But despite the new players and a tough early schedule, expect the Cavaliers to play a style similar to past successful Virginia teams.

“They do play Virginia lacrosse in the same style in taking some chances and doing it together as a team,” Myers said.