Women's tennis dominates doubleheader

<p>Senior Skylar Morton, a former transfer from UCLA, won her singles match 6-2, 7-5 and, with Virginia senior Julia Elbaba, her doubles match 6-1 Sunday. The deep Cavaliers defeated Louisville, 6-1, and Norfolk State, 7-0.&nbsp;</p>

Senior Skylar Morton, a former transfer from UCLA, won her singles match 6-2, 7-5 and, with Virginia senior Julia Elbaba, her doubles match 6-1 Sunday. The deep Cavaliers defeated Louisville, 6-1, and Norfolk State, 7-0. 

The No. 18 Virginia women’s tennis team got back on track this past weekend, registering two commanding wins against Louisville and Norfolk State. This doubleheader was the Cavaliers’ first outdoor match of the season, as the Cavaliers enjoyed beautiful weather at the Snyder Tennis Courts in Charlottesville.

Virginia first downed the Cardinals in an ACC contest by a score of 6-1, and then went on to defeat the Spartans 7-0.

The Cavaliers made quick work of Louisville, as they captured the doubles point and won five of six singles matches. The top two players on the ladder, senior Danielle Collins and senior Julia Elbaba worked quickly against their competition, winning 6-0, 6-1, and 6-1, 6-1, respectively.

The only Virginia loss came in a game that went to the third set that never actually finished, as Cardinal sophomore Abbie Pahz defeated junior Victoria Olivarez 1-6, 7-5, 1-0. Overall, the Cavaliers moved on with a confidence-boosting, 6-1 victory over Louisville.

Virginia’s next match against Norfolk State was even more lopsided, ending in a 7-0 Cavalier victory. The Spartans never really expected to challenge Virginia, as it was mainly a tune-up game for both sides. Sporting far more talent and depth, the Cavaliers put a beat down on Norfolk State, dropping only nine out of a total of 84 games.

These two wins may serve as confidence boosters as they prepare for a huge ACC game against No. 6 North Carolina Friday. The matchup is set to be one of the Cavaliers’ toughest of the year, and a win would be a massive step in the right direction after a difficult early part of the season.