Cavaliers improve to 4-1 with win against W&M

<p>Midfielder Posey Valis led Virginia with four goals Wednesday night.</p>

Midfielder Posey Valis led Virginia with four goals Wednesday night.

The No. 7 Virginia women’s lacrosse team (4-1) won its third straight game Wednesday in dominant fashion against William & Mary (2-2), 16-8.

The Cavaliers scored their first goal 1:46 into the game and never trailed after that point, leading by as many as 10 in the second half. Virginia outshot William & Mary, 39-26, and held the advantage in draw controls 16-10.

Virginia had 10 players score, and junior midfielder Posey Valis led the team with four goals. Senior attack Kelly Boyd, sophomore midfielder Kasey Behr and sophomore defender Daniela Kelly each scored two goals apiece.

Meanwhile, Virginia junior attacker Kelly Reese, named this past week’s ACC Co-Offensive Player of the Week, chipped in one goal. Freshman midfielder Maggie Jackson, junior attacker Besser Dyson, senior midfielder Mary Alati, sophomore midfielder Lilly DiNardo and freshman attacker Avery Shoemaker capped the scoring for the Cavaliers.

Sophomore goalie Rachel Vander Kolk, the reigning ACC Defensive Player of the Week, led the team with seven saves.

Virginia will next play at home against No. 2 Syracuse (5-1) Saturday to open conference play.

The Orange, NCAA semifinalists last season, have wins against Loyola, Binghamton, Wagner, Marist and Northwestern. However, Syracuse lost its most recent game Tuesday against No. 3 Florida, 11-10. It will be the first road game of the season for Syracuse, whose high-powered offense ranks the team 14th nationally in goals per game and ties it for 4th in assists per game.

Virginia lost at Syracuse last season 14-13.

Syracuse will be the third top-10 opponent the Cavaliers have faced this season. Virginia defeated then-No. 4 Northwestern and then-No. 6 Penn State earlier this year.

—compiled by Jack Gallagher