​Men finish eighth at NCAA Indoor Track and Field Championships

Competing in four events at the NCAA Indoor Track and Field Championships in Birmingham, Ala. — the men’s mile, distance medley relay and shot put along with the women’s mile — the Cavaliers produced a champion and a runner-up at the conclusion of the meet on March 12, leading the Virginia men to a program-best eighth place finish.

Junior Henry Wynne, the 2016 ACC champion in the men’s mile, caught fire at the right time. Wynne edged out Oregon sophomore Blake Haney by .08 seconds, and captured the title for the men’s mile with a time of 4:06.63. With this victory, Wynne claimed the program’s sixth NCAA individual event championship, and became only the third Cavalier to ever win an NCAA title.

Additionally, junior Filip Mihaljevic took second in men’s shot put with a throw of 20.47 meters. This second-place finish marked the best finish ever for the Virginia men in an indoor field event at nationals.

With the conclusion of the indoor track and field season, Virginia will switch over to the outdoor season starting next week on March 19 at Lannigan Field as it hosts the Virginia Cup.