Men’s tennis takes down NC State, Florida State

<p>Virginia senior Ryan Shane&nbsp;won a tough match against NC State senior Thomas Weigel Friday and then Sunday defeated Florida State's&nbsp;Benjamin Lock, a previous ACC Player of the Week.</p>

Virginia senior Ryan Shane won a tough match against NC State senior Thomas Weigel Friday and then Sunday defeated Florida State's Benjamin Lock, a previous ACC Player of the Week.

The No. 1 Virginia men’s tennis team had a busy weekend with two in-conference games — one Friday and the other Sunday. Friday, the team played No. 33 North Carolina State in Charlottesville at the Snyder Tennis courts. Sunday, the Cavaliers hosted No. 23 Florida State at the Boar’s Head Sports Club after the game was moved indoors due to inclement weather.

Virginia began its weekend with a 7-0 thrashing of No. 33 NC State. The Cavaliers started off the day winning the doubles point thanks to a pair of 6-2 victories. In singles, the Cavaliers went on to sweep the Wolfpack with little trouble, as only two of the six total matches went to three sets.

At the top of the ladder, senior Ryan Shane won a tough match against NC State senior Thomas Weigel 6-7, 7-5, 6-4. Virginia junior JC Aragone also pulled out a tough one to defeat Wolfpack freshman Igor Saveljic 6-3, 5-7, 7-6. This was a huge sweep to establish the Cavaliers as the nation’s top team after they reclaimed their No. 1 national ranking last week.

The next match of the weekend was set to be a tough one against No. 23 Florida State, who had previously dethroned then-No. 1 North Carolina. The Seminoles came into this game boasting a 4-1 ACC record, but the Cavaliers were prepared and responded with a 7-0 victory.

Once again, Virginia started things off strong with a pair of 6-2 victories to secure the doubles point. In singles, Shane notched a huge win against the previous ACC player of the week, senior Benjamin Lock 6-3, 6-2. Virginia sophomore Collin Altamirano also notched a three-set victory, defeating Florida State senior Marco Nunez 6-1, 3-6, 7-5. Additionally, Cavalier junior Thai-Son Kwiatkowski dug out a clean 6-3, 6-3 win against Seminole senior Michael Rinaldi.

After notching a pair of sweeps on the weekend, the Cavaliers seem poised to maintain both their perfect in-conference record and No. 1 ranking for the rest of the season.