Stanger ties for first, men’s golf finishes second at General Hackler

<p>Junior Jimmy Stanger notched his first-career first-place finish&nbsp;at the General Hackler Championship in Myrtle Beach, S.C. after shooting&nbsp;9-under 207 in the two-day tournament.</p>

Junior Jimmy Stanger notched his first-career first-place finish at the General Hackler Championship in Myrtle Beach, S.C. after shooting 9-under 207 in the two-day tournament.

Junior Jimmy Stanger tied for first as the Virginia men’s golf placed second at the General Hackler Championship in Myrtle Beach, S.C. this weekend.

It was the first career first-place finish for the Tampa, Fla. native, who shot 9-under 207 in the two-day tournament — the best singular performance from a player on the team thus far this season. Stanger tied for first with South Carolina senior Matthew NeSmith.

Virginia started its two-round day Saturday with a modest 1-under 287 in its morning round, but the team made good work of the day’s second round. The Cavaliers shot 12-under 276 thanks in large part to Stanger’s 6-under 66 round, which put the Cavaliers three shots behind the Gamecocks for first place. However, the team slowed in Saturday’s round, posting 3-under 285 for a weekend total of 16-under 848 — four shots behind South Carolina, who won the tournament.

General Hackler was the second straight runner-up finish for Virginia, who also placed second at the Palmetto Intercollegiate last week, a tournament which South Carolina also won. Virginia has recorded top-five finishes in all three of its spring tournaments.

Outside of Stanger, sophomore Danny Walker placed ninth with a tournament score of 3-under 213 for his second top-ten finish of the spring season. The remaining Virginia starters — freshman Thomas Walsh, junior Derek Bard (1-over 217), senior Kyle Kochevar (8-over 224) and freshman Ashton Poole (13-over 229) — all finished outside of the top-25.

Virginia is off for a week until the Linger Longer Invitational in Lake Oconee, Ga., which begins March 20.