Conference hosts panel of refugees living in Charlottesville

City welcomed 241 new refugees last year

<p>The panel of Charlottesville residents included refugees from Armenia, Liberia and Bhutan.</p>

The panel of Charlottesville residents included refugees from Armenia, Liberia and Bhutan.

A two-day interdisciplinary conference called “Fight and Refugee: The European Crisis in Global Perspective” kicked off Tuesday with a talk with a panel of refugees currently living in Charlottesville.

Religious Studies Prof. Asher Biemann, director of the Center for German Studies — which hosted the event — said the goal of the panel was to listen to and learn from the refugee community.

Following welcoming addresses by Biemann, Art Prof. Francesca Fiorani and Charlottesville Mayor Mike Signer, representatives from the International Rescue Committee — a co-sponsor of the event — discussed the European Crisis and its efforts to help refugees in Charlottesville.

The IRC responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives, Alyson Ball, an IRC volunteer and moderator of the event, said. Currently, the IRC is operating on the ground in over 40 countries and in 26 cities in the United States including Charlottesville.

To be eligible for services from the IRC, refugees must currently be outside their home country, unable to return and have fear of persecution based on race, religion or other characteristics, Ball said.

Ball informed the audience that there are currently over 16 million refugees fleeing persecution and war. She explained that one third of this group lives in refugee camps, while the other two thirds are living in the economy and are self-sufficient.

Last year, the IRC helped resettle 10,000 new refugees globally and provided services to promote integration to over 36,000 refugees, asylees, victims of human trafficking and other immigrants, according to the organization’s website.

Since opening its office in Charlottesville, the IRC has helped over 3,000 refugees resettle, Ball said. Last year, the city welcomed 241 new refugees from places such as Afghanistan, the Democratic Republic of Congo and Iraq.

In Charlottesville, the IRC provides newly arrived refugees with food, a furnished home, help with rent, health care, English language classes, education for their children, help finding employment and other services.

“Your only chance to have a normal life is to leave, but you’re not sure if that’s going to happen,” Kristina Constantine, an Armenian refugee currently living in Charlottesville, said.

Beyan Johnson, a refugee from Liberia, described the hardships refugees must endure when they first arrive in the cities where they are relocated.

“You have to depend on people to provide for you because there’s a lot of blockage of opportunity for refugees,” Johnson said.

For the first few months, Johnson said he was afraid because he was surrounded by unfamiliar things, such as the big buildings. However, gradually, Johnson said he and his family were able to feel more comfortable because of all the people surrounding them in Charlottesville and the help they received.

Constantine said it would not be possible for refugees to end up where they are without the incredible acts of human kindness they received along the way. She said even when people couldn’t do much, simply not turning their backs makes all the difference.

“Seeing how Americans are being infused with fear and being agitated and misinformed with who they are dealing with and making our own people incapable of humanity is the most difficult thing to process for me,” Constantine said.

Recently, there has been much debate about how to treat Syrian and Muslim refugees after David Bowers, the mayor of Roanoke, released a statement saying the city’s doors are closed to Syrian refugees fleeing violence and persecution. During the conference, Signer assured the audience that this city is a welcoming city and open to the remarkable mixing of cultures.

“Charlottesville stands with you and this is a crucial issue to be talking about,” Signer said.