​“Hella Personal Film Festival” is one hell of an LP

Rapper’s collaboration with Paul White brings new success

If the name Open Mike Eagle rings a bell, it’s most likely due to his performance on Hannibal Buress’s Comedy Central show “Why? With Hannibal Buress.” Maybe you were fortunate enough to have already heard his 2014 LP “Dark Comedy,” or maybe this is the first you’re hearing of him — either way, it certainly won’t be the last.

Known for his conversational, philosophical rap, Mike has often been compared to Aesop Rock and Action Bronson. However, what separates him from most other rappers is his charismatic, humorous and even gentle touch on usually self-deprecating and dark topics. He pairs both political and social satire with his own personal revelations to create well-received, thought-provoking material.

“Hella Personal Film Festival” is no exception. In fact, the album incorporates the features that Open Mike Eagle usually brings to the table and more. The addition of Paul White to the project brings a certain musicality that was previously missing. The UK multi-instrumentalist, vocalist and producer supplements a wide variety of flavors to an already diverse track-list. “Protectors of the Heat” has a tribal feel, while “Insecurity” almost sounds like disco and “I Went Outside Today” is soulful, full of horns and piano.

The sound complements Mike’s lyricism almost too well — sometimes the instrumentals are so easygoing the music tends to be underwhelming compared to the rapper’s powerful flow.

Nonetheless, more often than not the duo is successful. The tracks are, as the title suggests, like independent short films. “Check to Check,” witty and driven by a robotic bass line, discusses society’s obsession with phones and technology in general. “Smiling,” on the other hand, is a much more serious narrative that tackles the racism haunting Mike on a daily basis: “Today I saw a lady say hi to a stranger / Then avoid my eyes like I'm a white-person strangler.”

“Leave People Alone” is essentially a rap-rant about society’s obsession with being aware of trivial things, but simultaneously is unable to identify their own local government representatives.

Mike also pokes fun at the local news with lines like “Is someone masturbating in your sandwich at the local diner? You might not think so, but this horror-movie graphic might change your mind!”

These scattered thoughts are elegantly glued together with melodic flow. The lack of a direct theme and path seems to make the album appear more honest.

There are some letdowns — most notably “I Went Outside Today,” featuring the acclaimed Aesop Rock. Mike and Aesop seem to be very compatible, but somehow this track proves to be dull and hardly cohesive.

Fortunately, Open Mike Eagle’s self-awareness of his music prevents many reoccurrences of such disappointments. “Admitting the Endorphin Addiction” is another genuine, heartfelt self-reflection. He discusses the caffeine-like highs he gets from using his phone and says, “Rap music has ruined me / I always want to loop my favorite part.”

Yet, this isn’t true of his approach on “Hella Personal Film Festival.” The tracks are all fresh and personal, built with a 70’s soul mood and a redundant beat to allow for lyrical complications.

Mike and White dive into death, insecurity, politics and philosophy in about 45 minutes. The music is good enough to keep you coming back to unpack their proficiency and depth.

Rating: 4/5