“The Jungle Book” puts new spin on classic tale

Mowgli and company are back in this well-done remake

<p>Don't miss this exciting, nostalgic Disney remake.</p>

Don't miss this exciting, nostalgic Disney remake.

Disney’s trend of remaking their animated films continues with “The Jungle Book,” the classic tale of the man-cub Mowgli. This version takes a darker tone than the 1967 animated version but still maintains a sense humor and adventure. With stunning visual effects and top-notch voice acting, “The Jungle Book” is a surprisingly good adaptation of the timeless story.

The immersive and surprisingly realistic landscape created largely through CGI effects is perhaps the greatest achievement of “The Jungle Book.” The jungle is vibrant and beautiful, seamlessly interacting with Mowgli as he jumps and climbs. The animals are also remarkable — they look tangible down to every strand of fur. Facial expression registers clearly, allowing the animals to be as emotive as their human companion.

“The Jungle Book” boasts an all-star cast behind the voices of the animals, with each voice actor well-suited to their role. Ben Kingsley is appropriately wise as Mowgli’s protector, the panther Bagheera, and Christopher Walken is great as the intimidating Gigantopithecus King Louie. Bill Murray plays a dynamic Baloo, the fun loving and good-humored bear, and Idris Elba is a standout as the menacing tiger Shere Khan, the most terrifying Disney villain in recent memory.

The work of newcomer Neel Sethi as Mowgli, the only major human role, is especially impressive considering it was done almost completely on green screen, with no real animals for Sethi to interact with. His performance can be wooden at times, but he carries the movie well.

While not technically a musical, “The Jungle Book” includes some of the songs from the 1967 movie, sung by the actors. Although the songs are appealingly nostalgic, they are out of place and unnecessary in the otherwise serious film. In one scene, for instance, Mowgli is kidnapped by monkeys and taken to King Louie, the mob boss of the jungle. The scene is incredibly tense as Louie threatens Mowgli, until Louie breaks out into a verse of “I Wanna Be Like You,” shattering any sense of peril. The transition is jarring and laughable, and it takes the audience out of the scene.

The film’s classic music is better used in the incredible score by John Debney, who seamlessly weaves in tunes from the 1967 movie while keeping the sound modern and powerful. From the first simple notes of “Bare Necessities,” the audience is transported — the singing and lyrics should have been left out altogether.

This version of “The Jungle Book” is more mature than its animated predecessor, allowing it to exist as its own unique film. Director Jon Favreau smartly ups the ante, creating a jungle full of real danger and truly frightening villains. At its core, however, it is still the story everyone knows and loves, appealing to kids and adults alike. With the success of this film, the trend of live-action remakes certainly won’t stop anytime soon — and maybe it shouldn’t.