Kishore memorial scholarship awarded to Maggie Gratz

Third-year Batten student receives $10,000 scholarship

From a pool of over 100 nominees, the Kishore Memorial Scholarship Fund has awarded the 2016 Kishore Scholarship to third-year Batten student Maggie Gratz.

The Alumni Association said the $10,000 scholarship “aims to enable a rising fourth-year student to continue leading a life of public service that inspires others and brings lasting, beneficial change to the community,” according to a press release published April 27.

Families and friends created this scholarship in memory of Kris Kishore, a 1995 graduate of the University.

Jason Life, the managing director of alumni engagement at the Alumni Association and a personal friend to Kishore, said Kishore touched the many lives during his time at the University.

“The amazing thing about Kris was that he had so many different circles of friends,” Life said. “He could bring a lot of people together.”

During his time as a history teacher at Charlottesville High School, Kishore left a powerful impact on the greater Charlottesville community.

Sydney Taylor, a third-year College student and one of Kishore’s former students, said Kishore really cared about his students.

“His class was the toughest class I've ever taken but because he pushed us and was so personally invested in us as people, not just as students,” Taylor said in an email statement. “I am now at U.Va. studying history and in the Curry school to become a history teacher, and I believe Mr. Kishore played a huge role in my decision to do that.”

Mark Stancil, a trustee of the Kishore Memorial Scholarship Fund, said they created the scholarship to recognize a University student who embodied Kishore’s special qualities and characteristics.

“We’re looking for somebody who, like our friend Kris, was absolutely committed to the people around him,” Stancil said.

The committee looked for someone who “drew people together in ways that were not designed to bring glory or honor to himself but really to bring selfless devotion to the community and friends,” Stancil said.

These special qualities include service, community impact, leadership, passionate learning and inspirational teaching, Stancil said.

Nicole Burkhardt, a friend of Gratz’s, said she aligns with the criteria for the scholarship.

“Maggie is hands down the best human being that I know,” Burkhardt said. “She has this way of weaving people from all different sectors of her involvement at the University into a giant interconnected friend group.”

Lauren Russell, a fourth-year College student and head of the Student Nominating Committee for the scholarship, said Gratz stood out from their initial pool through her humble and meaningful contributions to the University and the greater Charlottesville community.

“She’s worked to share her passions and her interests with her peers but not necessarily always through leadership roles,” Russell said. “She goes above and beyond what’s required of her because she wants to help other people and because she wants to be a resource to others.”

Gratz works extensively with Students Helping Honduras, an organization that works to provide aid to impoverished children in Honduras, as well as educate the University community about global development. She currently serves as co-president of the organization.

Russell said Gratz’s service through Students Helping Honduras shows her desire to help others.

“Even though Maggie is not from Honduras and had no previous connection there, she built a connection because she felt that she needed to give back to the community she’d become so invested in,” Russell said.

Additionally, Gratz is involved with One Less, a member of the women’s club basketball team, a member of the Alpha Chi Omega sorority and a University Guide.

Gratz, who is majoring in Global Developmental Studies and pursuing an accelerated master's degree from the Batten School of Leadership and Public Policy, said one of the greatest aspects of the scholarship is that it brings people together to celebrate Kris Kishore.

“I’m incredibly grateful to have been given the opportunity,” Gratz said. “I’m absolutely honored to be the representative.”

Correction: This article previously listed Taylor as a fourth-year student.