On-Grounds laundry prices to increase in July

Price hike reflects increase utility costs, Romer says

<p>Students currently pay $1.50 per machine to do their laundry on-Grounds.</p>

Students currently pay $1.50 per machine to do their laundry on-Grounds.

Laundry prices are set to increase from $1.50 to $1.75 per machine in on-Grounds housing starting July 1.

Housing and Residence Life has not increased laundry rates since 2006, Patricia Romer, director of business and facilities services, said in an email statement. The 25-cent increase is a result of increased utility costs for water, electricity and natural gas.

The approximately 1.6 percent annual increase in laundry vend rate is still below the local average, Romer said.

Operational expenses are only one of the factors that undergo consideration when deciding laundry vent prices — peer institution pricing are also taken into account, Romer said.

“The increase to $1.75 per load also puts us equal to our peer institutions,” Romer said.

James Madison University, the University of Mary Washington and the College of William and Mary all charge $1.75, with both JMU and William & Mary having increased their laundry rates in summer 2015.

Romer said laundry prices are unlikely to further increase however.

“We do not anticipate additional increases in the short term,” Romer said.

The University requires first-year students to live in University housing, and many upperclassmen choose to live in University housing as well.

“The price of laundry doesn’t matter to me, and I still need clean laundry anyway,” first-year Engineering student Matt Dean said.

First-year Engineering student Shannon McAvoy suggested the school should look at rising first-year students’ needs.

“I can pay the laundry fee, but we don’t know if everyone can,” McAvoy said.