Mac DeMarco's latest output feels all too familiar

"Rolling Like a Dummy" was written in 2012 and sounds like it

<p>Demarco released single&nbsp;"Rolling Like a Dummy" this week.&nbsp;</p>

Demarco released single "Rolling Like a Dummy" this week. 

Mac DeMarco’s last full-length release, “Another One”, debuted in August of 2015, but fans are beginning to get a bit antsy for the Canadian artist to put out another one of his eight-track recorded masterpieces. In response, Demarco has joked that his genitalia-enlargement surgery has kept him away from the recording studio, but along with the humorous explanation, Demarco decided to leak an old recording that’s been on his live set since 2012 when his album “2” released.

The demo, titled “Rolling Like a Dummy,” was made alongside “2” but never made the cut into the album. The song is as playful as any other of the artist’s work. It has a boppy and almost friendly vibe to it, which has surfaced as Mac’s characteristic style. The guitar sounds have a familiar and omnipresent effect, and deliver the same bouncy riffs backed by simple melodies just like most of his other songs.

DeMarco explains the song is about seeing his high school graduating classmates grow up to be the kinds of adult he refuses to be: Doctors, lawyers, “police officers” and “moms.” He calls out characters like ‘Cindy’ who had a baby and ‘Mark’ who’s apparently going crazy; he wonders what they think of him too, a familiar sentiment felt by those in their mid-20’s.

The song is a broader reflection of DeMarco’s inner thoughts about his own life. It’s no wonder he is examining his own life’s path. After all, how does a wacky and funny-looking dude out of Canada quickly begin to dominate the American indie music scene? How did he “slip right by it all” as he notes in the song? A pressing question to many almost-famous musicians surely. Regardless of the “how,” Demarco and his fans certainly feel “lucky” he did.

The release is catchy and a nice treat for the avid fan, a tide-over until DeMarco’s next major release. “Rolling Like a Dummy” was written in 2012, and it sounds like it — the song is nothing new. His releases could all be rolled into one master album and fit seamlessly. That said, DeMarco and his new track are very worthy listen.