Sturgill Simpson will make you like country music again

“A Sailor’s Guide to Earth” is inventive, fresh

When asked what kind of music they’re into, the vast majority of college students would offer the same response: “I pretty much listen to everything except country.” This is a sentiment Sturgill Simpson knows too well.

With his cuttingly clever 2014 release “Metamodern Sounds in Country Music,” Simpson strived to change this unfortunately ubiquitous attitude towards a very misunderstood genre. With his new album “A Sailor’s Guide to Earth,” he plays to his strengths while also grows his voice as an artist. More impressively, perhaps, is that he crafts an entire album of country music that even the pickiest listeners would find enjoyable.

With his prior release, Simpson took the roots of country music and crafted something entirely new with a distinctly creative and adventurous style. Where one would expect to find ballads of farms and lost love, Simpson instead croons about nihilism and LSD. The sharp juxtaposition between the sound of the album with its more modern subject matter made it one the most noteworthy releases of the past year.

This year’s release is just as inventive, albeit in a different way. “A Sailor’s Guide to Earth” is debatably Simpson’s most poignant release. The album, which follows the plot of a letter written by a sailor to his wife and child back home, displays an emotional palette that Simpson has not previously uncovered to such an extent. The content is not the only novel aspect of the album. The dynamics and song structure also demonstrate a style never before seen from Simpson.

Contrasting to his prior release, Simpson’s new album features a distinctively crisp and clear production.

Whereas his prior album was rife with psychedelic rock influences, “A Sailor’s Guide to Earth” exudes a far more classic feel. In an interesting sound that blends 1950s American rock elements, Simpson crafts a nostalgic canvas upon which he lays his lyrics. Songs such as “Sea Stories” feature deeply reflective moments that are accented by Simpson’s novel sounds in a surprisingly effective manner.

Simpson approaches his music with a playfulness that makes it obvious as to why his releases are consistently so pioneering. His new album is just as emotionally developed as it is unique. Simpson has once again given country music a brave new face that is sure to intrigue and captivate listeners.