​Virginia blanks Richmond, 9-0

<p>Junior goalie Matt Barrett recorded 12 saves Saturday in Virginia's first shut-out win since 2007.</p>

Junior goalie Matt Barrett recorded 12 saves Saturday in Virginia's first shut-out win since 2007.

Junior goalie Matt Barrett did not allow the rising Richmond lacrosse team to earn a win against its in-state foe Saturday afternoon. Barrett recorded 12 saves to give the Cavaliers a 9-0 victory — the team’s first shutout win since 2007.

The Cavaliers (6-5, 0-2 ACC) came out ready to play against the Spiders (7-3, 3-0 Southern) — who were off to their best start in program history. Virginia struck quickly, just 56 seconds into the game, after Barrett made a quick save after the opening face off. After the clear, junior attackman Ryan Lukacovic put one between the pipes for the first goal of the afternoon.

Following the ensuing face off, junior attackman Mitch Goldberg, Richmond’s leading scorer, went down with a non-contact injury. He did not return to the game, leaving the Spiders without a key player.

The Cavaliers finished out the second quarter with a goal from sophomore attackman Mike D’Amario. Sophomore midfielder Matt Emery kicked off the second quarter with an unassisted score followed by a goal from senior midfielder Greg Coholan, giving Virginia a 4-0 lead at the half.

The third quarter saw three more goals for Virginia. A pair of Cavalier junior midfielders caught nylon, as Zed Williams and AJ Fish tacked on two goals. Lukacovic closed out the third quarter with his second goal of the afternoon.

In the fourth quarter, Barrett made five saves to secure the shut out for Virginia. Fish and Emery tacked on goals for their second scores of the game, bringing the contest to its 9-0 final score.

The victory gives the Cavaliers a winning record for the first time all season. The win also marked Virginia’s best streak of the year, as the team earned its third win in a span of just seven days.

The Cavaliers will seek their first ACC victory of the season Sunday when they travel to Chapel Hill, N.C. to take on No. 17 North Carolina.