Women’s lacrosse falls to Maryland

<p>Sophomore Kasey Behr scored two goals for Virginia in a losing effort.</p>

Sophomore Kasey Behr scored two goals for Virginia in a losing effort.

The No. 11 Virginia women’s lacrosse team had its three-game win streak come to a halt Wednesday night, as the Cavaliers (8-7, 2-4 ACC) were defeated by the No. 1 Maryland Terrapins, 17-6.

The game continued the Terrapins’ dominance in women’s lacrosse. Ranked No. 1 in the country this entire season, Maryland (15-0, 3-0 Big Ten) has achieved a combined 81-3 record dating back to the start of the 2013 season.

Sophomore midfielder Kasey Behr scored two goals for Virginia in the losing effort in College Park, Md. Senior midfielder Mary Alati, junior attackers Besser Dyson and Posey Valis and freshman midfielder Maggie Jackson each chipped in one goal.

Virginia was outshot by Maryland, 32-14. Maryland also held the advantage in draw controls, 16-9.

After a scoreless first seven and a half minutes, Maryland got its first goal of the game at the 22:30 mark. The Terrapins then went on to score five straight additional goals to take a 6-0 lead with 11:07 remaining in the first half.

A Dyson goal on an assist from Alati put Virginia on the board at the 8:28 mark and made the game 6-1. Maryland countered by tacking on two more goals before the half ended to take an 8-1 lead into halftime.

The second half started with three quick Maryland goals, increasing the Terrapins lead to 11-1 with 24:42 remaining in the game. Virginia responded with their own three goal streak, as points by Valis, Behr and then Jackson on a Valis assist brought the lead down to 11-4 with 16:33 left to play.

Maryland then scored four consecutive goals in less than five minutes to make the score 15-4 with 10:41 left. The Cavaliers ended the Terrapins’ goal streak with an Alati scored with 8:31 remaining. Maryland got two more goals before Behr scored the final goal of the game at the 3:49 mark, making the final score 17-6.

Virginia will travel to Blacksburg, Va. to face Virginia Tech this Friday. The match will be the final regular season game for the Cavaliers.

A win against the Hokies would guarantee Virginia a record above .500 before the NCAA Tournament. To be eligible to play in the tournament, a team must achieve a winning record.