Women’s lacrosse looks to continue momentum

Virginia hopes to get first road win against Navy

<p>Senior defender Ella Cooper was recognized for senior day in Virginia's last victory against No. 10 Boston College. Cooper then sang the national anthem to being the game, then was&nbsp;a part of the Cavalier&nbsp;defense who kept the Eagles to just four goals at halftime.&nbsp;</p>

Senior defender Ella Cooper was recognized for senior day in Virginia's last victory against No. 10 Boston College. Cooper then sang the national anthem to being the game, then was a part of the Cavalier defense who kept the Eagles to just four goals at halftime. 

In the midst of a recent offensive slump, the No. 13 Virginia women’s lacrosse team had one of their most efficient offensive games of the season last Saturday in a victory over then-No. 10 Boston College, 15-14. The Cavaliers (6-6, 1-4 ACC) will now look to continue this offensive production when they face Navy this Wednesday in Annapolis, Md.

“Right now there is a huge sense of urgency, and so much energy and excitement about moving forward,” senior defender Ella Cooper said. “Especially with that win over Boston College, we are using that as momentum.”

After averaging 13.4 goals per game in the team’s first five games of the season, Virginia’s scoring had since dropped by almost half. The team averaged just 7.67 goals over the following six games leading up to last weekend’s Boston College match. However, Virginia showed the precise shooting and quick ball movement against the Golden Eagles that made them successful earlier this season en route to scoring 15 goals.

Asked if this high goal scoring is sustainable for the rest of the season, head coach Julie Myers was quick to answer yes.

“I do think it is sustainable,” Myers said. “We continue to work on shooting, taking good lines and getting our hands free. Our attackers have definitely in practice started to pick it up and be a lot more efficient, and that showed on Saturday. It’s something we’ve been doing all along and we’re just starting to reap the benefits right now.”

While the Mids (7-4, 2-2 AAC) are unranked, unlike Virginia’s previous two opponents in then-No. 15 Duke and Boston College, the Cavaliers believe they will have to play at the same level from last Saturday’s game in order for the team to win.

“Everyone now is at such a high skill level, so if you don’t come out to play and play well, you’re going to get beat,” Cooper said.

Myers added to Cooper’s sentiment of playing at a high level.

“Being sharp, starting strong and just taking care of our fundamentals is going to be really important no matter who we are playing against,” Myers said.

Navy comes into the game on a two-game winning streak after victories last week over Lehigh and Army West Point, both with a score of 11-5. They are 1-2 this season against ACC opponents, with a win over Virginia Tech and losses to Duke and Boston College. The team is led by sophomore midfielder Jenna Collins, who has scored a team high 25 goals and was a First Team All-Patriot League player last season.

The game is an opportunity for the Cavaliers to get their first road victory of the season, as Virginia is 0-4 away from Klöckner stadium. With Navy heading a four-game road trip at the end of the regular season, the ability to win road games will be critical for the Cavaliers.

“When you’re playing in the tournament, you’re on the road constantly so you need to get used to it,” Cooper said. “If we can get road wins, it will build that momentum and confidence going forward knowing that we don’t need to be at Klöckner to win and that we can win anywhere.”

Last season, Virginia defeated Navy at Klöckner stadium, 15-13.